DIY Coffered Ceiling

$290
Advanced

I wanted to give my bedroom a little something extra, so I decided to build a coffered ceiling!

This was all fine and dandy but...

Adding the coffered ceiling made it extra!!

Today I am going to show you just how I did this.

First thing I did was came up with a design plan, I decided to make 9 spaces so I measured my ceiling and went to the hardware store to get all my supplies.

Starting with my 1 x 4 primed mdf boards, I cut these down to the sizes I needed and then applied liquid nail and attached them to the studs in the ceiling with my nail gun.

You will need an extra set of hands for this job!!

As you can see here, I started with the outside frame of the ceiling and then worked my way to the inside.

Here you go, all the boards are attached, can you see it all coming together?

Now you could just finish with what I have here, but my husband wanted to add a little extra something to the edges, so we found these finger joint coves.

In order to place these, they needed to be cut upside down and backwards at a 45’ angle

I worked with one square at a time by cutting down my boards and attaching with the nail gun.

Once you have all your boards finished you will want to fill in all the nail holes.

I like to fill in and then wipe away the extra with wet wipes.

Then sand down everything for a smooth finish.

Now you will want to caulk all around the edges for a smooth professional finish.

And lastly paint, I am using extra white by Benjamin Moore in flat finish

What do you think?

• 1x4 primed mdf boards
  • Finger joint cove boards
  • Liquid nail

Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests

• Rita Collins
    Rita Collins

What is the height of your ceilings?

• Brianna
      Brianna

We did 9 foot ceilings in our home, they just look larger with the design.

• Cindy Murphy Carpenter
    Cindy Murphy Carpenter

It’s absolutely gorgeous!!! I like it so much I might try it in one of my bathrooms. Do you think it would look OK in a smaller room and what about maybe some color just curious Cindy

• Brianna
      Brianna

I think a smaller room with some color would look fabulous. I contemplated painted the insides a light gray.

• Linda Abate
    Linda Abate

What a fantastic job done on your bedroom ceiling. This really adds a gorgeous focal point. A job to be proud of.

• Cherie
    Cherie

Love what you did! Your entire bedroom looks great and I also LOVE your dog! He's so cute!!!

• Brianna
      Brianna

Thank you so much, yes no project is complete without the approval of the pups 😉