Asked on Mar 2, 2021

How do I clean my wood fence?

JaniceAgnes ChrzanowskaBenFranklin methodologist
+15

I want to clean this fence and then reapply Thompson's. What's an easy way to do it? My daughter works full time and I'm not in the best of health. Thank you.

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi Dee, this article will help you clean your fence - https://www.rusticfence.com/how-to-clean/

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

The first thing to do would be to go over the fence and make sure it is in good repair, nothing loose. Then as Chloe suggested, power wash it. Let it dry and then put the Thompson's on.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

pressure washing is the best method or you can buy products at Home Depot, etc to attach to your hose that will clean them too it will take longer than pressure washing but it works too

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Pressure washing is probably the best method to clean your fence. It's not difficult unless you have issues holding a wand or standing for a long period of time. You could try spraying with a cleaning solution (like Krud Kutter or diluted bleach 1:2 with water) and hosing off but it won't be as effective. Also, be careful of the tip you use as too much pressure can "cut" into the wood. However, don't be surprised if it doesn't make much difference in the appearance. The wood appears to be more weathered than dirty. You will need to make sure it is completely dry before you seal with Thompson's.

• Mogie
    Mogie

We have a wood privacy fence and every year we power wash it.

• GeorgiaBulldogsFan
    GeorgiaBulldogsFan

Power washing makes things look great in no time!

William

It looks more weathered than dirty like Kathy Gunter Law suggests. Probably never sealed. Pressure washing would be the easiest. Might still look gray. Once it's fully dry you can seal with a clear sealer or stain it with deck stain. You can get deck stain in transparent, semi transparent, or solid. Thompson is one of the best

• Dee
    Dee

I agree with William that it looks more weathered than dirty, but it can still be power washed. Harbor Freight sells a very inexpensive power washer that will do the trick. After it is dry you can seal with Thompsons Wood Sealer.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

Rent a power washer - just don't use too harsh of a setting or you'll put gouges in the wood.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. Using a pressure washer might be the easiest l

• You could use a pressure washer to clean it. Let it dry thoroughly then apply what you’d like.

• Wanda Dregalla
    Wanda Dregalla

I powerwashed mine it is 30 years old and it is clean all the black and green junk came off ! I haven't resealed yet, but it has been 2 years and has not gotten dirty! My son resealed our swimming pool deck and I will eventually do the wooden fence the same color! 😀

• Debbi Cantoni
    Debbi Cantoni

I power wash our fence, patio, sidewalks, outdoor furniture, and everything else that can withstand the force every year! The investment is well worth it.

The trick is getting in as close to the wood as you can, spraying with the grain. Fix ALL nails, screws, loose wood beforehand and you should wear eye protection. Spray back and eye gunk really hurts your eyes, trust me!

Anyway, Happy Power washing!

I shared a photo from years ago 😊

• BenFranklin methodologist
    BenFranklin methodologist

Please pay to have it power washed - it is worth every penny! It pressure removes all the oxidized wood surface & leaves a new fresh surface of the original wood! Yes, to save money you can seal or stain & seal by yourself - or bribe some friends with home cooked meal or dinner out!

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

power washing will for sure help .. but right after you need to seal it right away

• Janice
    Janice
    3 minutes ago

A good pressure wash will make an amazing renewal....then you can stain or apply a a clea sealer to maintain the surface.