Braided Rope Spring Wreath

$10

I love the look of anything braided! It's such a simple way to create interesting patterns. Imagine making a wreath out of braided rope! So I created a braided rope wreath anyone would have fun making! And the best part, it can be made in less than an hour, including adding embellishments to suit the season or occasion! It's the perfect way to impress anyone who sees it, too!
Instructions:First, decide how large you want the wreath to be. I decided on 15 inches wide - which happen to be the diameter of the bowl I was using to make the circle. I couldn't find my compass to actually draw on a circle. Then, begin by grouping the rope into three sections of three rope strands. To do this, start with a 50 feet length of rope and divide the 50' by 9 (strands) getting 5.5ft or 66 inches. More than enough to braid and cover the cardboard backing. Next, cut the rope into nine, 66 inch lengths. And tape the ends with clear tape to prevent fraying or unraveling. After taping, grouped the strands into three sections and secure the sections onto the work surface using painter's tape.
To begin braiding, take the left rope section over the middle rope section and then take the right section over the middle section. Almost like braiding or plaiting hair. Except you have to keep the rope strands flat as you braid.
Continue the same steps, crossing the left section over the middle section and crossing the right section over the middle section creating the braid. 
Make sure to keep all the rope strands flat, and together, as you braid the same way, consistently.  
Continue the braiding pattern until reaching the end of the ropes, making sure the end ropes are laying flat. Add fabric glue to the rope ends and areas around the ends to seal together and let dry.
While the rope ends are drying, make the cardboard wreath backing by using a large bowl or compass to draw a 15" circle on the cardboard.
Then measure 2 inches in, and draw another circle and cut out using a craft knife.
Once the glue on the rope has dried, place the braided rope on the cardboard, adjusting to fit flat. Cut off excess rope and . . .
adjust braided rope to fit onto cardboard, gluing the rope ends together and let dry.
Once satisfied with braided rope wreath placement, begin adding hot glue to cardboard in increments and press wreath onto cardboard, holding in place until glue dries.
Continue adding hot glue around the cardboard in increments and placing wreath on top to seal together until glue is dry until the braided rope wreath is completely secured to the cardboard.
Then begin adding floral embellishments for a decorative spring look!
Add a command strip hook to the back for hanging.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• AnnK
    AnnK

Would you share the total cost?

• Katrina
      Katrina

Hello AnnK, I'm in England and used a similar type rope to cover a basic planter on my porch and I used sash cord from The Range, I think it was about £3 or £4. They also do very good artificial flowers and everything crafty! They are still open as an essential retailer, as they sell food stuffs, but also online. Even if you are not in the UK might be an alternative to look at.

• Janops29
    Janops29

Could you starch the rope once intertwined? Cardboard backing won't survive rain/humidity in FL. Also add starfish, shells for nautical look. Or an anchor with a blue/white bow!

• Rho50937961
    Rho50937961

I absolutely love this wreath! Can’t wait to make it it different colors. Thank you so much for the tutorial! So helpful!!!!

What millimeter rope did you use?

• Ree
      Ree

Is the 15" diameter the inside of the ring dimension or the outside of the ring dimension??

• KB
    KB

Can't wait to see a version on my door! Think I'll make another one for my sister's birthday! Love it!

• Cheryl Senescall
    Cheryl Senescall

Love It, it goes together so quickly. The hardest part is cutting the card board.

Thanks so much for the great tutorial. Mine came out to be 17 1/2 inches across.