Asked on Mar 2, 2021

Choosing paint colours?

Nadja StevensBetsyLorriLJ
+47

Hi everyone! I'm looking for suggestions on colours for my veranda and front door. As you can see, it's a log home with a steel roof. I am keeping the house colours. Just need suggestions for the veranda and door. Thanks so much!

• LorriLJ
    LorriLJ

The new supports will be boxed to match the wood beams above. And I'm considering putting white rocks instead of the red wood chips to help reflect more light into the basement. The foundation is an eyesore that needs a solution too.

• Patti
    Patti

Depending on your choice forest green to the blue side or yellow umber. Check each in different lights...sun, etc. Perhaps box in the ground with same wood as house then put down white rock & flowering plants in pots that can be moved.

• Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree

I think I would go with red to match the roof.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

The concrete foundation can be painted to blend in with the color of the upper log part of the house. This would make the house seem larger, and would help feature the veranda and front door area more.

• Chas' Crazy Creations
    Chas' Crazy Creations

I think it would be lovely to match your roof color

• Judy in Canton.
    Judy in Canton.

I agree with Flipturn paint the foundation the color of the upper part of the house. Stain all of the beams to match the railing. After that you can consider changing your door or replacing the mulch. Right now there are too many color tones that are fighting with each other which makes the house look chopped up.

• I would match the roof color.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

I think matching your front door to the roof would be a great pop of color. What a great home!

You didn't ask but I think you should stain your basement as a close match to the logs.

As for the veranda, I'm not a fan of painting because it is such high maintenance so I would bring life to it with a bit of decor. Also, I would love to see the inserts on the railing. Perhaps red on the rails as well. I would go in small steps with the door first and then see how you like it. Maybe just paint the "frame" of the inserts.

• LorriLJ
      LorriLJ

I'm "painting" with an opaque stain as the house has been. I think the yellow of the wood stands out too much.

Thank you for noticing the inserts! That and the lowered rail height are details that I love.

• Janice
    Janice

Beautiful home, you have! I agree with others who have suggested you change the color of the basement area to as near to the color of the logs. I'd also stain the veranda wood a more grey-brown (all the same color). The different angles of the logs, the vertical uprights on the railing and the diagonals on the supports and stairs going to ground level are too busy, so keeping the colors close in color would be best. I agree too that a great door color would be the same color as the roof or a dark green. The suggestions of a lighter mulch would "frame the house well for curb appeal.

• LorriLJ
      LorriLJ

I like your suggestion of grey brown. My mum thought the same colour as the chinking but I think it's too much contrast. I wonder about doing the foundation/basement in faux fieldstone.

The three colours I've been going between for the door are the same as the suggestions. Red, yellow or green. Once the deck is painted it might be easier to choose. I hope!

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

Although I love choosing paint colors, your home is a challenge! One thing to consider is printing out a pic of the house and coloring various areas with markers to see how you like it.

I think painting the lower area dark brown will only serve to make the look even darker than it is now. Perhaps a lighter tone of brown with contrasting window trim or a warm sage green? I think a bright yellow door would be great!

I also agree that once you paint the veranda, you must keep up with it. Painting the "ceiling" of the veranda a pale blue/white helps keep insects away and will reflect light onto the porch, as well as needing little upkeep.

• LorriLJ
      LorriLJ

It is difficult! Lol. I will be using opaque stain as with the house. Log homes are in need of a good clean each year and a stain coat every so often. I plan to rotate the walls. Do one each year to break it up. I'll be doing the back deck this year. It has never been stained and is starting to look dingy.

• Mogie
    Mogie

Think the door would look nice if you painted it to match the roof but a nice forest green would also work.

If you want to bring more light into the porch area why not whitewash the underside of the porch roof.

Also found it helpful in wet Oregon to apply some masonary water proofing (looks and applies like paint) to our foundation. Has kept it our foundation perfectly dry for over 20 years.

• LorriLJ
      LorriLJ

Great suggestions. I might even paint the underside of the veranda with a white wash now! That with light coloured river stone will help reflect more light into the lower level.

William

Door same as roof. Railing and posts a medium gray leaning towards brown shades. Some grays lean towards blue and greens. Too coastal. Field stone for the foundation. River rock to replace the redwood chips. Has different color combinations with some lava rock. Would pull the visual from the red roof, grays, browns, and field stone.

• Dee
    Dee

I would match the roof color and paint the foundation the same color as the house. It will be more cohesive that way. AS for the mulch/rock in front of the home, I think the white rocks or pebbles would bring out the house foundation.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I can't tell which one is your front door - I think you want to paint it a really vibrant color - like yellow maybe? As far as the railings - I think their natural wood color looks great with the log cabin.

• LorriLJ
      LorriLJ

It's two doors actually. Only one opens though. Yellow would bring a big pop of colour in.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello I also think a green door might be nice.

• LorriLJ
      LorriLJ

Oh dear! Strange choice given the climate. I wonder if it could be insulated and the same ceiling treatment applied to keep the beautiful look?

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi LorriLJ Why not do the deck the same color as the house color? Do the doors a nice red to compliment the roof color.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hi,

Paint the Veranda Rails the same colour as your Roof. Front door - same as Windows, but Add Planters either side maybe.

• LorriLJ
      LorriLJ

Thanks for the suggestion. It would certainly be unique. Which would compliment the inserts I think.

• LorriLJ
    LorriLJ

Thank you everyone for all of your ideas!! I think I'll be incorporating a little bit of something from everyone. There are ideas I never even thought about before.thank you again!

Betsy

Hi LorriLj: What I suggest to people is to take a bunch of pictures of the project and then get some crayons or paints and paint each area of the picture the colour(s) that you think you would like. Then, pick out the one(s) you like, show them around and get some feedback. This way you will get a good idea of what you like.

Good luck

• LorriLJ
      LorriLJ

Great idea. I can turn photos into colouring pages I think. 🤔 Definitely worth trying!

• Nadja Stevens
    Nadja Stevens

Hi LorriLj...what an awesome home you have!

One thing to remember with decorating, whether it be interior or exterior is:

it's only paint. Play with it, have fun with it! If you don't like...paint over it!!

We, as humans, are constantly evolving and changing and so do our tastes.

That's why paint is our best friend LoL

You keep alluding to 'faux fieldstone' for your foundation, so paint it on! ;)

and not the tiny fieldstone you see these days but the actual huge boulder type things that an early settler would have found while clearing his land to build a log house!!

(pic attached)

If you love the way it looks then start saving to have the 'real thing' applied in a few years. You are only limited by your imagination!

Now, on a completely different tangent...I am not seeing any eavestroughs.

Water sheeting off of your roof is going to create some massive trenches where it lands

(I speak from experince!!) Please keep an eye on the ground surrounding your foundation, if you see the trenching starting...get eavestroughing installed asap.

I didn't see my damage happening until it actually started crumbling my cement foundation!!

Good luck with all your repairs on the logs and have fun with paint!!