How do I remove the rod?


I am trying to replace the seals on the rod in my shower, but the rod seems to be too long to come out. Is there a way to get it out without having to cut it? And without damaging the tub?

q how do i remove the rod
  14 answers
  • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Mar 07, 2021

    Call the manufacturer. It's likely they installed the rod from the backside prior to any installation in your bathroom, meaning you can't get to it.

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Mar 07, 2021

    Just looking at the set-up, the top fitting seems larger (and maybe adjustable) than the bottom and maybe gives you wiggle room for replacement. The bottom looks fixed in place.

    Give the manufacturer a call and see what they suggest, whether it can be removed and replaced or not.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Mar 07, 2021


    Try using a Silicone Waterproof Sealer instead of trying to remove it!

  • I once had something similar and used waterproof caulk on each end.

  • Judy in Canton. Judy in Canton. on Mar 07, 2021

    If you are unable to remove the rod and just want to update it - they make covers for closet poles that would slip on or look for waterproof contact paper on line. I bought some and it is easy to work with and looks great.

  • Dee Dee on Mar 07, 2021

    First I would try to push one end like a tension rod to see if you can force it out. If that does not work I would make sure there was no mildew and either use a silicone caulk or use Rubbermaid adjustable rod caps over the old ones.

  • CJ CJ on Mar 07, 2021

    Hi Alexis!

    We have a similar for in our tub, a few years ago it came loose on both ends. It was several inches longer than the space it spans. I was able to slide it to one side the get the other end out and removed it. After cleaning it thoroughly, we slid it back in place and used clear silicone caulk behind the original hard plastic collars to reseal it. Be sure to allow the caulk to cure as directed before using the shower. You might be able to replace those collars if you contact the manufacturer as others have recommended. It the manufacturer is unknown, take the doors and collars to the store and ask for help.

    Good luck!

  • Mogie Mogie on Mar 07, 2021

    Lowes makes a very good water proof silicone sealant that comes in a small tube. Sorry I don't remember the name and couldn't find my tube either. It comes in white and dried within 30 minutes.

  • Deb K Deb K on Mar 07, 2021

    Hello, why not just paint it and reseal it while it is in place?

  • Dee Dee on Mar 07, 2021

    If you want to remove it and never use it again. Use a dremel or a hack saw and cut it in the middle and remove. Then you can put decorative caps in the sides or but a tension rod and insert it in place.

  • If you remove it and don’t replace it, the large holes will be a bigger concern. Try some fresh silicone caulk, that will be the simplest.

  • Betsy Betsy on Mar 07, 2021

    Hi Alexis: Is it possible that the end of the top rod unscrews? It looks like it might. Try unscrewing it and then tilting it so that it comes out.

  • William William on Mar 08, 2021

    The grab bar is installed at the factory during manufacture. I has to be long so It doesn't pop out when someone is holding on to it for support. Use a 100% clear silicone sealant and push the seal back in place. Put on more sealant than normal so it squeezes out when you push the seals back in place. Then wipe off the squeeze out.

  • Annie Annie on Mar 09, 2021

    The rod should slide to one side enough to get it out. The only thing holding it is the seals. May have to cut the seals first

Your comment...