How to clean dog urine off concrete patio. And stop them from peeing ?

+12
  • Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Mar 09, 2021

Home and Garden DIY Ideas | Hometalk

You can hose the patio off and I know that pet stores sell spray to deter pets from going in certain areas. You could always try that.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Mar 09, 2021

Pressure wash it and take your dog for a walk.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Mar 09, 2021

After cleaning your concrete you may want to train them to pee in a dedicated area. That’s what we’ve been doing for the last 20 years with our dogs. They are trained to pee in a mulched area which doesn’t bother grass plants or others surfaces. We did use a training collar to do this.

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Mar 09, 2021

Concrete is porous and after pressure washing it, you’ll need to treat it with something they don’t like the smell of, like bleach water.

• All great suggestions for cleaning the area. The dog needs to be trained. Gently. When any new dog appears in my household, I "walked" them on a leash in my yard where I have a section for them to use. After a few days they get the hang of it and will go to that spot when free to roam. Or take your dog for a walk every few hours.

• Here is how to clean and remove the odor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAweEL60MD4

• Deb K Deb K on Mar 09, 2021

Hi Kari, there is a product called Sox that removes the "markers"

Wash the spots you find with one part vinegar and one part water, and two teaspoons of baking soda, then treat the areas with an enzymatic cleaner of the same type you used on your carpet. 9 Don't rinse the cleaner away. Cover the spots up and let the cement or concrete soak overnight for up to 24 hours

You can still teach you dogs where to go with treats and praise

One of the easiest ways to train a dog to go only in one spot is to train it to go on command. Take your dog on a leash to the spot you want it to use, and say the cue word. Keep the dog in that spot until it goes, then offer a reward. Only reward the dog when it goes in that particular spot

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 09, 2021

Hi Kari: Those dogs. Well, they won't stop peeing, they just have to :) But, you can keep them from peeing in a particular area. Clean the area with a product called OdorMute. I think PetSuppliesPlus carries it, or you can get it on line. It's safe for the pets and environment and made in the USA :) It's an enzyme eater, which is what you want. You don't want to mask the odour, but get rid of it. So, that should take care of the clean up. I trained my dogs to go potty in a particular spot. When I put them out to go, I had to actually drag them to the area and hold them there until they went and then I made a huge fuss about how good they were and gave them a treat right then and there, still making the big fuss. It took a week of this, but they got the idea that that's the place to go, and went on their own, but came running back for a treat, which they always got. Here's a site that may help if they need a little encouragement:

https://pethaus.com.au/blogs/news/how-to-stop-your-dog-pooing-in-certain-areas

Good luck

• Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Mar 09, 2021

I'd power wash it off

• Mogie Mogie on Mar 09, 2021

Take your power washer and wash it up. Perhaps some type of cheap but nice looking barrier to keep them off the patio and in the yard where they can potty.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Mar 09, 2021

Hello,

Dogs will always mark their territory!

• Use a cleaner with enzymes. You can get it at PetCo etc. To get them to stop peeing obedience training might be helpful.

• Sharon Sharon on Mar 12, 2021

To stop peeing would require training and also a dedicated area for them to use as their bathroom, a dog run usually along back fence line or the narrow side of the house or garage. Walmart has some good inexpensive dog runs - be sure to pick one with a bit of roofing for shade, and include water bowls. Minimum should be twice daily walks for dogs, or as we had upwards of 60 dogs to exercise, we trained the pups to run alongside bikes.

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Mar 13, 2021

sometimes that smell is hard to get rid of even after you bleach, this article may help Good luck https://www.cuteness.com/article/stop-dog-urinating-concrete