Designer Storage Made With Cardboard Boxes- Style A

$2

So as I mentioned in a previous post we've been doing a makeover in my craft room and the issue was not enough storage! We fixed that with building cabinet storage but....I needed more as all crafters can understand I'm sure. With the budget blown I had to get creative if I wanted free storage that looked half way to pretty!

Several of these sturdy , cardboard boxes were used as temporary storage while my room was under construction so I thought to dress them up somehow? Heh it's recycling at it finest, come on now think outside of the box!

Prep work simply involves removing any packaging tape or glossy labels beforehand to ensure the paint will adhere evenly onto the box.

A clean white slate, yes that's what l needed to begin with! I'm just using white, semi-gloss household paint leftovers from other projects. I folded the four tabs at the top inside to give the box extra strength there. I applied two coats of paint to give it full coverage, the folded inside lids were painted as well.

So here's where I get creative, you see my husband doesn't value scraps like I do but he'd also rather build something from scratch rather than renovate! 😄 These strips of wood were scraps that were excesses he cut off from wood as it passed through the table saw. I had stained these strips previously to perhaps make a tobacco basket. I'm thinking that flat basket reeds are exactly like my strips or perhaps washi tape would be awesome to try instead. * I made all of my cuts with the utility scissors seen here.

I applied the two side strips first with Titebond Glue but any wood glue would work fine. Next I made cuts for the top and bottom strips and now I dared to be creative....mitre cuts!! Measure twice and cut once...or twice if the first cut was wrong, hahah. So as seen above I wanted the diagonal strip to butt into the bottom corner so I aligned my ruler with the two border strips to make my marks at exactly where they would rest against the interior of the border.

I criss-crossed the strips to form an x but I didn't mitre at the center...shoulda, coulda, woulda but I didn't because it was more tedious cuts for me as a newbie and these strips were very thin so it was fine. I used painters tape to secure the strips in place until the glue had dried.

Pulls would be a nice addition? I went rummaging through my supplies and found two handles recycled from a wicker basket, cha-ching they'll work perfect! The holes were pre-drilled and they were previously tied onto the basket with Raffia so I'll just tie them onto my box with jute string!

I chose to place them at the top so I drilled holes into the strip, the box and inner flap folded inside. With all of those layers the handles would have something solid to be attached onto. I simply fed the string through the handle and into the drilled holes. The other end of string was just flipped over the top edge of the box to meet the first end at the back and simply tied.

Heres a side profile of the finished look, I recalled I had upholstery tacks and I popped them in at the corners and intersecting points to just add a little more detail. Yes they are protruding through the cardboard a little on the inside but I'm aware of where they are and it won't affect my usage. However, if they do I'll either snip the tips off with some cutting pliers or put something over the tips like another small piece of cardboard or foam with some tape.

Yes, I think I have a winner! One box completed and one left to tackle, these aren't hard to make just a little time consuming but heh...I'm not going anywhere I always say! That's the way I look at it with this pandemic, staying home is allowing me to be even more creative with what I have!

Just like that cardboard became stylish, rustic storage for my utility stand!

I'm imagining all of the goodies I can stuff into those cuties, afterall when I do shop now I buy craft supplies in bulk so I really needed these! Shhh, that'll be our little secret!

I've shared this project in hopes of inspiring you to get creative with what you have or for just pennies to create for yourself some stylish, custom storage for an entry closet, kids toys, craft room maybe the bathroom for all of those extra rolls we've bought? Please keep you and yours safe and well and be sure to pop back to see more of my creative storage ideas.

P.S. I'm working on some Spring color for the next set... because I have to fill the shelves in that storage tower right? You'll want to check these out too...I just know it!

17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/44387352/designer-storage-made-with-cardboard-boxes-style-b

• Terry
    Terry

have you ever moved? I have, more than several times. I've used wine boxes for the heaviest of items; they are perfect for books. Strange assumption that they would fall apart IMHO!

• Skilled Thrifty Creatives
      Skilled Thrifty Creatives

Excellent point! I volunteer at a goodwill and it's those cartons that we prefer because of their strength to handle heavy items. Thanks for sharing that Terry!

• Steff Blue Eyes
    Steff Blue Eyes

The wine boxes look pretty as is. Can you customize bins without removing the wine decal?

• Skilled Thrifty Creatives
      Skilled Thrifty Creatives

Sure, if you want to protect that apply polyurethane over the box and accent as you wish. You can choose a flat or gloss finish and it's water based so it dries quickly as did the water paint.

• Mary Njus
    Mary Njus

Confession time...I’m addicted to boxes, bins, baskets (hometalk you’re a little to blame. Lol) I love your project. Now can someone tell me where I can go to “storage items anonymous?” I’ve got to stop drooling with ideas every time I see a box! TFS.

• Skilled Thrifty Creatives
      Skilled Thrifty Creatives

When you find that "group" please tag me....guilty as well, even worse I'm maybe a culprit! 😂 Thank you Mary but like I always say...I could be doing much worse things than playing with boxes, bins and baskets....right?

• Patricia
    Patricia

These are great!!!

• WOW! What a step up from just covering with contact paper or material! It looks great! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful project with us!

• Thank you very much, your enthusiasm for my project is contagious and made posting it so worthwhile! As a side note...I found that flat basket reeds are the perfect size and thickness to match what I used! I'm ordering some from Amazon to try to create a tobacco basket!