Pringles Can Makeover for Kitchen Storage

$1

I’ve always had a hard time throwing useful things into the recycling bin, when all it takes is an inexpensive makeover to make something useful and pretty.

Like these Pringles cans, which are the perfect size for storing many things, and I plan to use them in my kitchen.

All I needed for this makeover are a few things I already had. A one dollar roll of red and white polka dot wrapping paper, some decoupage medium, and a foam brush.

I’m using the red and white polka dot wrapping paper to match my decoupaged garbage can, that is also in my kitchen. But any wrapping paper that matches your decor would work.

TIP: Before beginning this project I wiped out all the cans with a slightly damp paper towel, and then I let them sit open for a few days to get rid of any lingering BBQ smell. Pringles BBQ chips aren't strong so this worked fine.

Using a sewing measuring tape I measured around the can, and the height as well.

Then I cut the pieces that I needed.

To apply the wrapping paper onto the cans I spread some decoupage medium from top to bottom for just a couple of inches.

I smoothed the wrapping paper onto the can with my fingers.

Then I applied the decoupage medium for a couple of inches, and made my way around the can.

Until I was done.

And here’s a friendly word of warning.

There will be wrinkles.

Wrapping paper is very thin, and it’s probably impossible to get all the wrinkles out. so embrace them.

Any imperfections add character. That’s my motto.

When the wrapping paper is still wet it appears to be translucent, and you can see the Pringles can logo below.

But once it’s dry it becomes opaque, and you can’t see through it.

To apply a couple coats of decoupage medium I placed my hand inside the can.

The decoupage medium will be very white when first applied but it will dry clear, like the can on the left.

After two coats on the cans, I decided to dress them up a bit, and I added some jute ribbon along the bottoms and the tops.

To do that you apply the decoupage medium onto the can, then apply the ribbon, pressing it into the medium.

This is also a good way to cover up the top and bottom edges if need be.

Any kind of ribbon, lace, etc can be used, but I love jute of all kinds.

Once the ribbon is in place you pounce the decoupage medium onto the ribbon all over, covering it well.

It will look very messy, but it will dry clear.

Like this. The ribbon will be hard and scratchy to the touch.

But if you give it a light sanding with a sanding block, it will feel nice and soft again.

And here’s the after of my Pringles can makeover with chalkboard labels.

These cans fit tea bags perfectly, especially the round ones, which are the ones we tend to drink.

But they can hold a lot of other things too, and their look can easily be customized to any decor depending on the wrapping paper you use.

To check out all the other cans I also gave makeovers, all shapes and sizes, check out my Pringles Can Makeover post on my blog here.

Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Tuula - Color Me Thrifty

• Erin
    Erin

Do your teabags smell like bbq?

• Tuula - Color Me Thrifty
      Tuula - Color Me Thrifty

No, I can honestly say they don't. I made sure to wipe them out thoroughly, and I left them open for a few days to air them out. Also, Pringles BBQ chips are not the strong so it wasn't a problem at all.

• Carol Cole
    Carol Cole

They are good for storing crackers to.

• Gloria Symons
    Gloria Symons

I really like this idea for Pringles cans! I cover my coffee containers that I have saved with raping paper and pretty napkins like this. Do you have any ideas to cover the plastic lids of a coffee container? Thanks for showing this idea!