DIY Vent Extender For Furniture

$2

Why are all the heat and air vents in the exact place you want to arrange your furniture? There are vent extenders available for purchase but we needed two and $40.00 seemed like a lot for something hidden beneath the furniture. So here's what we did.

I'm going to show you how to make a DIY Vent Extender For Furniture for only $2.00. It's a safe and practical alternative to spending $20.00.

First, you will need to make a trip to The Dollar Tree, but before you go, measure the size of your floor vent. Also, measure the distance from the vent to the edge of your furniture that will be covering it.

Once you are at the Dollar Tree, you will notice that they have multiply sizes of Aluminum Baking Pans all for $1.00. In addition, they have Silver Duct Tape for $1.00. That's all you need.

Just be sure the pan you purchase is long enough to extend to the edge of your furniture and wide enough to fit over the floor vent.

If you are working under a sofa or bed, you may need more than one pan to extend to the edge of your furniture.

Now using the measurement from the back of the vent to the edge of the furniture, mark your baking pan at that distance.

You should be able to cut the pan with simple scissors.

Next, using the duct tape, attach the pan to the vent securing on three sides as shown in photo.

The rim of the pan fits almost perfectly along the rim of the vent.

Finally, making sure the vent is open, place the cover back into the opening.

Here is another Blog Post that you may enjoy - Brilliant Ways to Hide that Ugly Vent & More.

Then, place your furniture back over the vent extender and make sure everything is properly aligned. If you failed to cut enough off the aluminum pan, it's easy to trim any excess.

You want the extender to be as close as possible to the edge of the furniture.

Here you can see how closely the extender fits against the furniture.

Now the HVAC System is safe as well as the furniture.

You can see how this chest was completely transformed from boring to wow here.

3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Rachel The Ponds Farmhouse

• Pamela Griffin
    Pamela Griffin

This is a great idea although......I don't know where you're buying the manufactured covers?? I bought some plastic ones that slid apart in the middle for a custom fit of any length register and, only paid $5 each......NOT $20!! Yes, $4 each is still a great savings!!!! I wish I'd seen this sooner!!! I did find using the ones I bought work great at windows. The air seem to just be blowing in and around the curtains. In that case, I'd have to go with the bought ones as they would show. Overall a great idea and I WILL be applying this idea, and method, to vents that are hidden!!!!! Thank you!!

• Denise
      Denise

I got a 4-pack on Amazon for $18, but if you can’t find them, this is a great alternative.

• Lorraine J
    Lorraine J

Why not allow enough to bend the edge up then tape over it with the duct tape to get rid of the sharp edge.

• Rachel The Ponds Farmhouse
      Rachel The Ponds Farmhouse

That’s a great idea. My edges meet the edge of the cabinet so I did feel the need for the extra step. How with small children, I can see the need. So great tip. Thanks!

• Toni
    Toni

Love the idea, but that nightstand??? LOVE, LOVE it!

• Tonya
    Tonya

BRILLIANT!! B.R.I.L.L.I.A.N.T!😍

I've lived here 20+ yrs,and my vents have bullied me and my furniture for 20+ yrs! IT STOPS TODAY! THANK YOU RACHEL!!

I'D MARRY U IF WASN'T ALREADY,LOL. BE BLESSED😇

And tfs🤗

• Va
    Va
    Just now

I will be going to dollar tree soon to get pans to fix my vent problem!!!

Thank You so much!!!!