Installing Kitchen Backsplash Tile Using Adhesive Tile Mat

$150

One weekend to an amazing kitchen renovation!

Please note that the tutorial here is an abbreviated version of the one on my site so that you can see the overview. If you'd like more details, and if you'd like to download a supply sheet and printout of the steps involved, or see the video, please visit the full tutorial.

Recently, I worked on a townhouse flip where I mentored a group of teens. They gave me two days of their time, and they learned several projects involved in flipping a property.

It was a great experience for everyone, and if you'd like to see the whole project and the profit made, you can view that here: Townhouse Renovation.

Since the projects needed to be simple and not overly time consuming, but we also needed the place to look great and be well done, we spent a little extra money and saved a lot of time by using an adhesive tile backing in the kitchen.

Here's where we were starting.

We used an adhesive tile mat. It was so easy!

Just unroll it and apply it to the wall.

Continue applying the adhesive tile mat in strips along the wall. Make sure everything is lined up and straight.

Peel off the protective covering from the front. This will expose the sticky part of the mat that the backsplash tile will adhere to.

Press the tile sheets onto the adhesive mat. Hold and press for a few seconds (make sure it's level)

Cut out the tile (easiest if you're using tile on a mesh backing like this one) around the outlets.

When it comes to the area around the cabinets, you'll measure and cut these with a wet saw.

Notice that we didn't cut it all the way to the bottom because, for this space, we needed the bottom two rows to remain fully intact.

Placing the puzzle piece in place!

Now it's time to add the grout. We used premixed grout to keep things quick and simple.

You can use a float to spread the grout, or you can use your hands (with gloves on) like I did.

Once the grout is applied, you'll use a damp sponge to clean off the excess grout from the tops of the tiles.

Look at the after photo! What a quick and easy transformation this glass tile backsplash made.

And here's a closer view of how beautiful it looked.

We ended up selling this "teen renovated" townhouse at a record price and the kids learned a lot about home renovation.

If they can do it, you can too!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marcia

3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Marcia Socas

• Kelli Cook
    Kelli Cook

I’m impressed! Great details on the “ how to”! Is it possible to do this on top of tile? I have ugly tiles in kitchen. I don’t have a wet saw either. 😕

• RN Jen
      RN Jen

Hi Kelli. I made an unfortunate first tile choice and rather than re-tile, I found some really good how-to painting instructions and painted my uglies!

• Sharon
    Sharon

Love this. We just finished remodeling our kitchen, have the same cabinet style! The only thing left is the backsplash. Have never heard of adhesive tile mat and will definitely be looking for it, will make the job a lot easier! Thank you!

• Connie Jones
    Connie Jones

Love this! Thanks for sharing!