Concrete Patio Facelift

$70

I transformed our ugly old concrete patio with some cleaning and an easy-to-apply tinted sealer!

Here's how to do it yourself...

When we moved into our new house the back concrete patio was in rough shape.

It had been stained over the years from leaf debris and dirt ground into concrete that I suspect was never sealed.

I started out by using this Purple Power Driveway & Concrete Cleaner.

I diluted it according to the instructions and applied it with a stiff brush.

Well after I used the cleaner the concrete still looked super dark and stained.

So I decided to try another approach to restoring the concrete.

I found this concrete sealer at my local Lowes. There were two options - semi-transparent and solid.

Since I wanted to cover the old stains, I decided on this solid color and went with the concrete gray base color.

You could also have it tinted about a dozen different colors.

First I thoroughly cleaned the concrete with our leaf blower and a broom. You don't want any dust or dirt on the concrete. If you haven't cleaned it with a pressure washer, I also suggest doing that at this point.

I then applied the concrete sealer with a high nap roller that was recommended for concrete applications.

The sealer is SUPER watery so it was easy to apply. I ended up needing two full cans when I thought one would do.

So plan on the coverage area being less than described on the can.

I recommend taping along any surfaces you don't want the stain to get on.

This picture shows the change in the concrete - it really was night and day!

I was pleased with the sealer's coverage - you really can't see any of the old dark marks through the sealer.

And here is the patio a month later with lots of use.

I'm sure the dirt would wash off with the pressure washer.

The gallons of sealer were $30 each and the cleaner was $10. So the total cost for the patio facelift was $70.

I'm really pleased with how nice the patio looks now. Any questions? Please leave a comment below!

The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Leah Althiser

• Jack C. Getz
    Jack C. Getz

I did this on my garage floor with garage floor paint. Unfortunately, the heat from the tires pulls up the paint. Did your paint say anything about such problems?

• Roxy
    Roxy

Has anyone used this about a year ago? Does the stain peel or fade?

• Patty
    Patty

Our patio was "painted". Of course it is peeling up. But I can't get it all up. Anyone have any ideas on this problem. Can't put stain over peeling paint.

• Erin
    Erin

I’m surprised you haven’t stenciled it as it seems to be all the rage & has some impressive impact on ‘the look’.

• Annette
    Annette

Great inexpensive makeover.