How to i make this plant fuller?

+17

Is there any way i can make this vine from my pothos fuller, without having to cut and propagate it?

q how to i make this plant fuller
  • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Mar 11, 2021

You need to clip him to make him grow fuller. Be brave! If you clip him up high, the stem will branch into 2 or more. You could also get a larger pot and add a 2nd plant to it.

https://plantcaretoday.com/make-pothos-fuller.html

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/pothos/how-to-cut-back-pothos-plants.htm

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Mar 11, 2021

I agree, I've had two of these plants now for years and about every two years I clip them nearly all the way back to the root. They always come back fully and with lots of leaves!

• Janice Janice on Mar 11, 2021

Great advice so far. The decision is sometimes difficult but the plant needs clipped near the base. I'd recommend adding new fresh potting soil so the plant has nutrients to assist in new growth.

• Em Em on Mar 11, 2021

Cut it lower. Remove the long stem to just about the height of what you have in the pot now. You can make cuttings by rooting in water. Do not put the leaves in water. Cut a piece from the tip of the plant and remove leaves to about a 3-4" piece below the last leaf. Put in water. In a few weeks you will have enough roots to plant it next to the original plant. Everytime it starts to get long. Do it again until you have the pot full.

• I would trim it and perhaps add another plant (or two?) to the post to make it fuller. You could also see if adding some fertilizer and adequate sun would help it thrive.

• Katrina Katrina on Mar 11, 2021

I kind of agree with the other posts. It's hard when you want to have a large plant to do it but it will encourage more bushy, strong growth. When it comes to successful plants, inside or out, patience is the way to go!

• Mogie Mogie on Mar 11, 2021

Properly Prune Your Plant

Fertilize Your Pothos

Give it More Sun

Keep Them Well-Watered

Make Sure It’s The Right Temperature

• Clip it! Clip it!

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Mar 11, 2021

Very long and spindly, it needs to be pruned back as the others have stated, think about tomatoes when they get that way, they get trimmed back to produce more fruit rather than putting all their energy to growth upward.

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 11, 2021

Hi User: I have one of these plants. You need to cut this vine down to about 6 inches long. The plant is wasting a lot of energy trying to keep the whole thing going and is dying in the process. You'd be doing it a great service by triming it. You can try putting some of the healthy cut ends, that are about 5 inches long, into the soil. Cut off some leaves near the bottom and then put those areas under the soil and they just might grow :) This plant doesn't like a lot of light, and definitely not direct sunlight. I have mine in a corner. These plants are great for offices and windowless rooms as they don't require a lot of light, lamp light is sufficient.

Good luck

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Mar 11, 2021

Hello. I might suggest you clip the plant shorter and root the clipped cuttings. Once they’re rooted plant them in your pot for a fuller look.

• User User on Mar 12, 2021

wow, didnt expect so much good advice! Thank you for your help. I didnt want to cut the whole thing, but now i see how that would be the best option

• I've had the same thing happen. Cut it back and be sure to put the cut piece(s) in water to root.

• Sharon Sharon on Mar 12, 2021

Pinch off the new top leaf pairs from the very top of the plant as they emerge, this will stimulate the lateral buds on the side of the plant and make it bushy.

• Maura White Maura White on Mar 13, 2021

I agree with cutting it back. I'd also give it some fertilizer. The yellow leaves means it's lacking some needed nutrients.

• Annie Annie on Mar 15, 2021

https://www.gardenista.com/posts/gardening-101-pothos/

Heres a site that will help you out

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Mar 15, 2021

Yes, you need to do some sever trimming to this pothos to get it to grow fuller.

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Mar 31, 2021

replant into bigger pot , fertilize and be patient