How do I unstop a bathtub?

+11

My bathtub suddenly quit draining. I tried the plunger but it did not work.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Mar 11, 2021

Hi Cher, you could try a plunger. Have you snaked something down in there to see if gunk has built up? I've always found a wire coat hanger works well for that lol. Draino would be my last suggestion though I hate using harsh chemicals like that if I can help it.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Mar 11, 2021

It's likely a big plug of hair. Pretty gross, but easy to solve with a plumbing snake.

• I would check to see if there is any hair stuck down in there. You could try Draino, but make sure it is safe to use for your tub. Otherwise, you could try to remove the drain and reach in with some plastic gloves and remove any of the gross hair. If it is still clogged, I'd try a snake as a last option.

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Mar 11, 2021

Have you dried Drano ? You can use that in bathtub also you may need to get a ling thin grabber to take out hair jammed

• It's probably clogged with hair. Here's a link with ways to deal with it:

https://plumbertip.com/drain-clogged-with-hair/

• Mogie Mogie on Mar 11, 2021

https://www.hometalk.com/36322479/q-how-do-i-get-a-tub-with-standing-water-to-drain#!

https://www.benjaminfranklinplumbingiowa.com/how-to-unclog-a-bathtub-drain-with-standing-water-naturally/

You could use a snake made for this exact purpose. It's a very long tool with "teeth" cut down it's length. Put it the drain as far as it will go. Then twist and pull. The "teeth" will catch all the hair and soap muck from the drain. You can find them in any home improvement store like Menard's, Lowe's, etc. Effective and inexpensive.

I got this from amazon several years ago and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Vastar-Drain-Snake-Remover-Cleaning/dp/B01DP87IF8

How do I get a tub with standing water to drain?

• probably a big wad of hair in there. You need one of those drain snakes to pull it out.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Mar 11, 2021

More than likely a hair plug in the drain system, once you get that out take a trip to the dollar store and buy the drain sieves, they come 2 in a pkg, use 1 in the tub and one in the kitchen sink, they work wonders and keep stuff out of drains. Empty them as needed and not down the drain. Best to you.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Mar 11, 2021

Hi! Make it a part of your cleaning routine to use a hair grabber to pull the hair that's building up. Soap and other stuff builds up on it and makes a big clog. The first time I cleaned mine out I was pretty grossed out. It's much easier to do it routinely. I had to unscrew my drain it was so big and wouldn't fit through opening. You can also buy screens to trap the hair. Hair grabbers work well in the bathroom sink, too. Good luck!

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 11, 2021

Hi Cher: Here's what I do. This looks long and complicated, but it's not. Well, it is long, but not complicated:)

If stopped up, get a really long zip tie, cut slits going down the side, one on the right, one on the left, all the way along to the bottom and twist it. Then, tie a string on the top really securely, and tie that around your finger. This will keep it from falling down the drain:) Then, stick it into the drain and jiggle it around and lift it out to see if anything stuck to it. If so, do it a few more times to get as much gunk out as you can.

Then, You will need this:

A small box of baking soda

1/2 cup vinegar

1 quart of water

Directions

1. Bail out any standing water .
    2. Dump about 1/2 of a box of dry baking soda down the drain.
    3. Get your plunger or stopper ready and at your side, and be prepared to hold it down tightly.
    4. Put a cloth in the overflow hole tightly, it's usually near the top of the sink or by the front of a bath tub.
    5. Following the baking soda, pour 1/2 cup of vinegar down the drain.
    6. Immediately after you pour it in, plug the drain with the plunger or stopper, or whatever you have that can seal the opening, covering the drain hole completely so nothing can escape.
    7. HOLD TIGHT!The interaction of the vinegar and baking soda will cause a “mini volcano” that will come up and out of the drain if you don’t keep it down there, to bust out your clog.
    8. After the initial “volcano” subsides, leave the baking soda and vinegar mixture in the drain for about 30 minutes. While you are waiting, boil a tea kettle full of water.
    9. After 30 minutes, remove the stopper or plunger and slowly pour the boiling water down the drain.
    10. This should take care of the clog. You may have to do it twice, but usually not.

Good luck

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Mar 11, 2021

Hello. In our family it is usually a collection of hair the clogs up the drain. The barbed tool that’s either at the home-improvement centers or the dollar tree is very effective for reaming out the hair obstruction. I suggest to consider that to be oneof first things you try to remove your obstruction. Additionally after the obstruction is removed they do have a mushroom type of filter to insert to prevent the problem from reoccurring.

https://www.amazon.com/TubShroom-Revolutionary-Protector-Strainer-Stainless/dp/B07MKPMBCJ

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Mar 11, 2021

There is a plastic tool you can run down the drain to pull out hair. It's rather inexpensive and works well. If that doesn't clear it enough, you may have to snake it. You can get a drill attachment for that. You can try baking soda and white vinegar (1/2 cup each), cover the drain for 10 minutes, and follow with boiling water. That will dissolve built up product in the drain. You may need to repeat a few times.

• Dee Dee on Mar 12, 2021

you can purchase a drain auger that works with your drill at home depot. It goes down 50 feet and will clean everything out for ya.

• Sharon Sharon on Mar 12, 2021

I would add to this, get a cup to put the screws in so they don't wind up down the drain.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVC0jecDN9U I get my drain snakes at the Dollar Tree.