Blue Stool to COOL Stool

$18

Another free furniture makeover! See how this blue stool was transformed into something too cool for a stool!

I have a knack for getting free random furniture from family and friends for me to makeover. I was actually in the market for a short stool that I wanted to transform and use as a plant stand. I absolutely LOVE the store Serena and Lily and a couple of years ago they had a stool with brass painted legs they used in the bathroom as a little stand by the tub. I actually bought an old kitchen stool with the plans to cut the legs and transform it but cutting the legs down was not as easy as it seemed. It was very hard to get it to sit evenly. When I was rearranging my mom's living room, she had this little blue stool in the corner with a lamp on it. This was no longer needed in her room so she gave it to me. I gladly accepted!

I used painters tape to tape off the bottom couple inches of the legs in prep for the brass spray paint.

I used this Rust-Oleum spray paint and it was exactly what I wanted.

My vision was coming alive!

After my brass was dry, I taped it off to prep for the white spray paint I was going to use for the rest of the body.

When you spray paint, you really should spray in layers. Do not try to cover the whole thing in one sitting or you will have paint drips. Lightly spray until lightly covered, let dry, and spray again, let dry, repeat, etc until you get full coverage.

I used a Satin white so it has a little sheen to it.

I took off my painters paint and look at those little brass legs!

I had originally planned to try out those Sharpie paint markers and make a really cool design with the pens but it did not work...the paint didn't come out the marker evenly, it smudged, it was a complete mess. I decided to jump on the washi tape trend and had some brass tape I could use for a design instead.

I randomly put down the tape and used one roll.

This looks like something out of a magazine! I plan to put a plant on it in my living room. It has so much personality now from that boring blue stool and transformed into something too cool!

30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage

• Johanne Palange
    Johanne Palange

Looks really nice, but I'm wondering: will the Washi tape stand up to use? Won't the edges lift, or shift or something? If it is durable, it really is an unbeatable way to get the look you want easily.

• Holly Wildey
      Holly Wildey

She said this was going to be used as a plant stand so probably won’t get too much wear and tear. She’ll probably put a plastic dish under the pot.

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

Beautiful upcycle!

• ShelbyNeen
    ShelbyNeen

I really like the transformation. It's kinda too cute to hide under a plant.

-

We inherited an old metal 2-step stool when we bought this house. It was originally black and has a lot of different colored paint splatters on it from all of the projects that they used it with. Yesterday I was staring at it and thought white would be a good color and then I remembered I had a sheet of Wallum decals that are multi sized gold circles. I'm sure your post is a nudge to me to do my project.

Thanks for showing me how good the white & gold look together.