DIY Boho-Style Easter Eggs!

$6

Most Decoupage eggs are made using tissue paper or napkins. But what if you can't find the colors or patterns that you are looking for? I had this exact issue and I've got all the tips and tricks to share on how you can create them using inexpensive gift bags!

I'm loving the bright, bold, and geometric patterns that have become so popular lately in design. So when I decided to decorate some faux eggs I picked up at the Dollar store, my first thought was to use those fun patterns and colors!

Unfortunately, I went to several stores and could not find any napkins or tissue paper that had these designs. I was just about to give up when I walked by the gift wrapping section at our local Dollar Store and found these lovely gift bags for $1! They were a bit heavier and thicker than the napkins or tissue paper, so I wondered if they would be difficult to decoupage with. But for the price, I thought it was definitely worth a try!

What you'll need:

• Gift Bags
  • Faux Eggs ( I used plain white ones)
  • Mod Podge (matte finish)
  • Craft Paper (I had one piece left from my DIY Mid Century Modern Wall Art project!)
  • Small Paint Brush
  • Wax Paper or something to cover your work surface
  • Paper Towel

I chose a pretty detailed pattern on my gift bags so I started out cutting the first one in strips because I thought it would be easier to match up the graphic. That ended up not being as easy as I had thought and was more time-consuming than I wanted.

So for the next bag, I ended up cutting out the graphic in sections. That was SO much easier and faster, but since the gift bags are made out of thicker and heavier material the smaller the sections you cut the easier they are to attach to your egg and the less glue you have to use.

But you will still have to use quite a bit more glue than you would for napkins and tissue paper.

Here's what I did:

First, I brushed a light coat of Mod Podge on the egg.

Next, I pressed a section of the gift bag in place.

Finally, I took more Mod Podge on my brush and covered the outside of the section.

Then, because it was so much easier, I put the brush down and just used my fingers to spread the glue out to the edges, while pressing them in place and removing any creases or wrinkles.

After I had completed one section, I would put that egg down and let it dry and would move onto the next egg.

**I worked on six eggs at one time.

Then repeated the same steps for the other six eggs.

This bright pink and orange pattern was hands down my favorite! But I truly love how each of the eggs turned out.

The hexagon pattern (which was made with the craft paper)was a bit harder than the others to match up so I do have a couple of 'off' places on the graphic but oh well. They still look bright and colorful and totally different than my usual pastel-colored eggs!

If you liked this project you can find the full tutorial and other fun DIY's in the link below!

COST FOR THESE BOHO-STYLE EGGS:

• Gift Bags (4-@$1=$4)
  • Eggs- one dozen ($2)
  • Mod Podge (I had)
  • Craft paper 10¢

TOTAL:$6.10

32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Pallet and Pantry

• Crafty Nana
    Crafty Nana

More details about the eggs you used....plastic, wooden, ceramic? I have not seen plain white eggs at my $$ Store, mostly bags of fillable plastic eggs.

• Lynn Gozdecki
      Lynn Gozdecki

I have seen plain white eggs at Walmart. They even come in an egg carton.

• Couldn’t you use wrapping paper?

• ShelbyNeen
      ShelbyNeen

Keithly - I like that idea. I have some super fun designs that I still haven't used. Also - tissue paper with patterns and colors are also easy to find, but I don't know if tissue paper would fall apart. ?

• JenRJking
    JenRJking

I love this idea, especially for us no talented types! Is the holder that has the completed eggs in ceramic? Where did you get that? It looks to match the planter??

• Patty
    Patty

Great idea to replace napkins!

• JenRJking
    JenRJking

The egg container you have for the completed eggs, is that ceramic? Looks to match the planter? Where did you find those? Love the idea, especially for us non talented folks!😯😂