Create a Coffee Shop Vibe With This Easy DIY Coffee Bean Sack Hack!

$55

Raise your hand if you too love a coffee shop vibe in your decorating!

I personally collect coffee bean sacks to help achieve the rustic vibe... however they aren't always easy to come by. In fact, one of my most asked questions is where to find them!

Hmm... this needed to be fixed.

So I came up with a way where anyone can now make their own authentic looking coffee bean sacks to add that decadent rustic coffee shop vibe!

Just add burlap!

Here's what I made:

For this project, I teamed up a 16" x 24" bulletin board and a cheap burlap sandbag that was big enough to cover it.

Using a bulletin board base gives you the option to create a coffee station sign with note pinning potential!

Cover bulletin board with burlap

After the bulletin board frame was removed, it was wrapped with the burlap and attached with an electric staple gun.

Adding stripes

The next step was to stencil the image I desired on the burlap.

Green stripes are pretty common on authentic coffee bean sacks so I stenciled some grain sack stripes in green first.

View Grain Sack Stripe stencil G3L HERE

Organic Coffee stencil

The Organic Coffee stencil was then positioned in the middle of the burlap, and stenciled in black, over top of the green stripes.

How to stencil:

1. Position the stencil in the middle of the bulletin board.
  2. Tape into place with masking tape.
  3. Load stencil brush with black paint.
  4. Off-load most paint onto a rag to create a dry brush feel.
  5. Tap paint through stencil to achieve desired effect.

About Organic Coffee stencil:

Organic Coffee is a coffee bean sack styled stencil that gets you the look in minutes!

View Organic Coffee stencil and others HERE

Building a frame

Desiring to frame the sign, 4 pieces of reclaimed wood were attached together from the back using a Kreg Jig.

A jig creates pocket holes that help you create very easy and strong wood joins.

Don't have a jig yet? I highly recommend getting one! You'll find you grab for it a lot once you have it on hand. I sure do!

My model is Kreg Jig K4 which I love since it clamps the wood into place.

How to use a Kreg Jig:

1. Decide where the pocket holes will go
  2. Clamp wood in jig to hold it in place
  3. Screw pocket holes
  4. Join the wood through the pocket holes with screws

Click the original blog post link below which includes a helpful video of how to use the jig!

A coffee-themed bulletin board!

The finished bulletin board was then screwed to the wood frame and this was the decadent result!

Isn't this rustic Organic Coffee station bulletin board the cutest?! It has all the rustic vibes while working hard!

As an office bulletin board, the sky's the limit on decorating around it.

Just add hooks or rusty junk and put it to work holding pens, string, etc.

Some vintage tap handles were attached to push pins for an additional vintage touch!

Coffee station sign!

And here's the coffee station sign version!

Add any kind of hooks to the wood frame to hang up mugs for the cutest coffee station!

Isn't it decadent?!

Love this coffee bean sack vibe so much! And I have to admit, I think it looks pretty authentic myself... do you agree?

Think you'll give your own DIY coffee bean sack sign a go? How would you use it in your home?

Read more details on this and other coffee projects HERE

These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• Cat
    Cat

Well this for sure would be on my “todo list” if I had a place to put. Just a great idea, job and idea. Thanks for sharing.

• Carol
    Carol

Wow you really nailed this project!!! It’s simply perfect. Nice work!! I’m glad you shared this. I’m on the hunt for my Kreg tool now. Thankful to you!!!