Add Heat to Your Basement With a Vent “Jersey Girl Knows Best “

$25
Advanced

So I’ve been pondering this idea about adding a vent to my exposed duct work in the basement for additional heat. The next time you have your HVAC serviced ask your technician if you can add additional vents/registers to your existing system in the basement ducts. If the answer is yes, then you’re all set to start this project! I worked on this, its complete and I already feel the warmer temperature down there! This is a great alternative to an electric heater because it was getting pretty cold 🥶 and I don’t want to forget and leave one of those heaters turned on by accident. Most of the materials you will already have at home or you can borrow or rent them. I by no means have any HVAC experience, but I am pretty handy with tools and I watch YouTube videos🛠 🧰 Are you ready?! Let’s do this!

In looking at basement vents in another family members home I decided to go with this 10”x4” ceiling and wall register (yes, I call it a vent) I really liked that this vent or register is multidirectional because I figured it would distribute the heat better.

I use the cardboard that came with the vent/register and create a template for the hole I am about to cut into the heating duct.

I measure it slightly larger, since there are some uneven areas.

This side as well. How does that saying go?! Measure twice, cut once. 📐 🪚

Now for the fun part! And don’t forget your safety glasses 🥽

There are two air ducts, how do I know which one to cut? Common sense tells me it’s the warmer one 💡 😉

I trace my template onto the duct with a black sharpie. Why a sharpie? Well, I first did it in pencil and I could barely see the line...so lesson learned! 👍🏻

🎼I can see clearly now...hmm...hmm🎼

I drill one hole with my drill so I can get those tin snips in and start cutting.

I borrowed these and they look old, but they are sharp and work great!

I would be very careful while you are cutting the metal. It is very sharp and not very forgiving. I would recommend wearing leather work gloves if you have them.

I found it easier for me to cut out small sections instead of the whole piece at one time. This is definitely a good work out for the under arms 💪🏻 You don’t see it, but I’m on a step ladder as well. 🪜

The tin snips/shears worked very well and it gave a nice clean cut.

I dry fitted the vent to make sure it fit and I used the sharpie to mark the screw holes.

Here I drilled the screw holes.

Since I did not have a helper, I used painters tape to hold the vent in place while I screwed in the screws with the drill.

Easy peasy!

Here is the finished vent/register. If you have any doubts about completing this project, I would recommend calling a professional HVAC company to install this. I hope you enjoyed my DIY adventure! See you next time!

30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!

• Ada5326947
    Ada5326947

As an HVAC tech I would not recommend this due to the possibilities of ruining your system! Call a professional and have it examined before you cut in to your ducts.

• Karen Hyde
    Karen Hyde

This is so exciting! When I had my HVAC replaced, they asked if I wanted more heat in the basement. It was a good temp so I said no. Well, all of the leaks were no longer there so it was freezing. They charged me $3000 to put in ductwork for basement vents.