How to Clean Stained Plastic Containers and Tupperware

2 materials
$2
1 Day

If you have plastic containers, chances are they have gotten stained over time, but they are still perfectly usable. I had several pieces of Tupperware that had hard-to-remove tomato-based stains. And because they were good Tupperware, I hated to throw them away. Especially since I am a professional organizer and I try to keep only the number of containers that I need. Here's my very easy, tried and true way to even remove tomato-based stains.

Step 1 to clean stained plastic containers and Tupperware. Wash the container with soap and water or run it through a dishwasher cycle (and yes, this is AFTER it was run through the dishwasher - clean, but still stained).

Step 2 to clean stained plastic containers and Tupperware. Fill the container with enough water to cover all the stains. Then mix in a couple of tablespoons of (aff. link) lemon juice. Let it soak overnight.

Here's the result. The container is much less stained but still has some staining and rough patches. So, on to the final step...

Step 3 to clean stained plastic containers and Tupperware. Use the sun!

The sun will help bleach out the remaining stains. Right before I left for work, I set my container and lid out on the back porch - in direct sunlight - and this is what it looked like at 4pm. The stains and roughness are gone!

I've found that this 3-step process is the BEST way to get those stains out and rescue your Tupperware and other plastic containers for many more uses! See all the detailed photos in my post.

Pam Hoepner

Questions on this post

Comments

8 comments
Next