Spring Centerpiece: Hot Air Balloon

$8

Spring is around the corner which means fresh air, nicer weather and lovely colorful flowers. I don’t know about you but I love the colors of spring. This DIY is intended to be used for my granddaughter’s 1st birthday party but I thought I’d share it here because I think it’s also a great centerpiece to use for spring or Easter. Imagine sticking a cute little bunny in the center of this hot air balloon. I think it would be adorable.

I will be showing two different ways of making this centerpiece, one will be made using a brown paper bag. Yes, you heard correctly, a simple brown paper lunch bag. This is a good way of making it if you plan on using faux flowers and if you’re going to use it indoors or outside if there’s no wind. I suppose if it were windy, you could add colorful rocks or a weight inside of the bag to prevent it from flying away. This method has the balloon tied down with a ribbon in the center of the bag. The weights or rocks would not be visible once you add your flowers.

The second method will be made using a small box/planter and floral foam. By making it this way, you could choose to use fresh flowers or faux flowers. I also used a “balloon stick holder with a cup” to hold the balloon in place. For either method, you could use helium or non helium balloons. I will be using non helium and the balloon stick method because I believe it’s a better way to ensure the balloon will stay still. I thought it would be great to show you 2 different ways of doing this and after doing both methods, I preferred the non helium with the balloon stick holder.

Alright, let’s get DIYing!

Step 1: Cut the bag to size

These are the steps for the brown lunch bag version. Cutting the bag to size will depend on how short you want your centerpiece to be. I cut about 1/3 of the top portion of the bag.

Step 2: Folding the bag

Fold the cut end of the bag into the center of the bag, to give it a cleaner end.

Step 3: Securing the balloon

If you decide to use a helium balloon, using a ribbon, tie the end of the balloon to the piece of the bag that you cut off and place it into the bag (you can use anything to tie the balloon in place. I figured I’d just make use of the bag). At this point, you could either leave the balloon in place or fill it with colorful rocks or a weight to weigh down the balloon in place. You could even use a floral foam.

Step 4: Securing the twine or ribbon

Cut two pieces of twine or ribbon, long enough to ensure they go around the balloon from the bottom of one side of the balloon, to the top and back down to the bottom of the other side of the balloon. This prevents you from having to cut 4 pieces of twine/ribbon and having to tape all 4 pieces to the top center of the balloon (it would look bulky). The length will depend on how high you want your balloon to suspend. My pieces of twine are approximately 32 inches from the center top of the balloon to the bottom (a total of 64 inches long per each piece from one end of the balloon to the other).

Using a piece of double sided tape or regular tape, secure the ribbon on top of the balloon. Place the second piece of ribbon or twine crosswise over the first ribbon and press down with another piece of tape to secure in place. FYI, you could also use a low heat hot glue gun to secure in place.

Step 5: Securing the twine/ribbon

Next, tape the ends of the twine or ribbon to the inside of the bag at all 4 corners of the bag.

The twine secured in place.

Step 6: Inserting the flowers

Insert your flowers into the bag to form your floral centerpiece. Ensure your flowers have long enough stems so the stems fit into the bottom of the bag. If you choose to use a floral foam, place your flowers into the foam.

Step 7: Embellishments

Finally, add your finishing touches. I used a soft pink leaf ribbon to hang over the bag and also used faux leaves to drape over the bag.

A close up photo of the floral center piece.

Voila, you now have a hot air balloon centerpiece. The photo doesn’t do it justice, it turned out so cute. I will be making 5 more and will update this project when I’ve completed making them for the party.

The next steps will show you how to make the same centerpiece using a wooden planter box and floral foam.

If you decide to use a wooden box or planter for a fresh floral centerpiece, begin by inserting a floral foam inside of the box.

Next, place the balloon onto the cup of the balloon holder and secure in place.

Next, insert the balloon holder stick into the foam (I did remove the plastic before doing so).

Taping the twine or ribbon would be done the same as in step 4 above.

Finally, insert your flowers into the foam and arrange them to your liking.

I used faux flowers.

Thank you for stopping by.

If you’d like to see more of what I love to do, please visit me at https://www.instagram.com/mycreativekneads/

Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:

• Mary Needham
    Mary Needham

So very cute. I smiled with the ballon. Great Idea.

• Sewtime
    Sewtime

My husband and I were married in a hot air balloon and I want to try something like this, but paint the balloon to match the colors of the one that we got married in. And maybe beef it up some to make it last much longer. Maybe hodge podge tissue paper or something on the balloon because they don’t last long enough. I should be able to find a small basket, Dollar Tree maybe....🤔😃💕💕