DIY Window Frame

$0

Have you seen something in someone else’s home and just have to have something like that in your own home? It happens all the time with me, I saw this window frame in an Instagram account’s feed over a year ago and fell in love with it. I would love to have one in our kitchen, I haven’t found one the size I need so I thought how hard would it be to make one? I have enough scrap wood to make it.

So that’s what I did, I drew out a rough draft of a window in the size I wanted, 5′ x 3′ window. That part was pretty easy, but finding out how to space the grids of the window was a whole different task. I had Mr. Tip help me on that part. He did very well with figuring out the measurements for each space. I wished I would of taken more interest in algebra. 🙂 Here is the diagram of my window frame.

Below are the measurements of each board:

• two 1 x 4 cut at 5′

• three 1x 4 cut at 30″

• two square trim pieces cut at 36″

• two square trim pieces cut at 12.5″

• six square trim pieces cut at 9.75″

I used 8 L corner brackets and 4 straight brackets along with wood glue to attach my 1″ x 4″ boards together to create the frame.

To attached the grid of the window I used wood glue and heavy duty staples.

I went back and forth on painting or staining the window frame. I decided to paint it with Benjamin Moore in the color Dove, it’s the paint color of the table, chairs and hutch.

To give the window some details I added 3 nickel coat hooks plus this will give me places to hang decorations on.

I couldn’t be more happier with my window frame. By looking at the frame you would never know I built this myself. I know, I am patting my own back, but look how great this looks up on the wall in the kitchen!!

SUPPLIES FOR WINDOW

Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Decorate and More with Tip

• Tessa
    Tessa

How do you use staples to attach the small pieces of wood? I've never done that before, but would like to try. Thank you! Nice job!

• Lynne
    Lynne

really love this!! great if you don't have all the tools, and thanks

• Bry
    Bry

Looks great! And you deserve that pat on the back.