Recycled Plastic CD Bins

$30

My husband has an enormous CD and record collection. Thousands of CDs. Our best friend (owner of a record store!) gave him 4 plastic CD boxes. Unfortunately, they were of no use to him. And he asked me could I use them. 😂

Bring 'em on!

As many CDs as he has, I have books. Books on shelves. Books on stools. Books in corners and on chairs. If an area doesn't have CDs, then rest assured it has books.

The shelf in my tiny dining room has 2 shelves on the bottom that I am never happy with, no matter what I put on them. Hellllloooo CD boxes!!

I have 4 of these plastic CD boxes

The first thing I did after cleaning them was paint the inside. I used white chalk paint,of course. You could spray paint them for sure, but I don't think brushing acrylic paint on them would work very well. Chalk paint is perfect.

I painted a couple of inches of the top and handles. Then I started applying jute rope. I knew what I was going for and knew I didn't need to paint the whole box. So I didn't. Why waste paint?

This is the tape I used.

Starting at the bottom, I put double sided tape around the box, using the handles as my measurement. I planned to wrap the bottom to the handles. So I stopped at the base of the handle. This tape is pretty heavy duty and works well. Just wind, keeping the ropes neat and aligned, pressing in place every few inches.

Using a tiny dab of hot glue, I started a piece of twine at the inside edge of the handle...

And continued wrapping the top of the handle, securing the tail with another dot of hot glue.

This is the twine braid I used.
All 4 completed!

I'm still not 100% sure what they will hold, but I like these more than anything else I've found for this spot.

Thanks for looking! 😘

Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen

• Thea
    Thea

I like the fact that they aren’t entirely covered.

• Cyndi Valerino
      Cyndi Valerino

Lol it took me 3 tries before I realized I did too! Thanks and thanks for looking!

• Lynne
    Lynne

awesome, and really creative! love it when people create some out of things they already have.