If I was going to do a bathroom should i put black tile in?

+21

We have a bathroom that we are going to put black tile in

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Mar 18, 2021

Hi Landon, I think black tiles can look amazing in a bathroom - https://www.houzz.com/photos/black-black-tile-bathroom-ideas-phbr2-bp~t_712~a_28-173--88-10 However I have heard that soapy scum will show up quicker, or be more obvious on black tiles.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Mar 18, 2021

Black tiles are amazing and can really showplace a bathroom.

I have a friend who had a black bathroom sink and he hated it, it was an open house gorgeous piece, but miserable to keep clean. After he bought the house and realized the upkeep, he could not wait to take it out.

• Black tile can look beautiful, but, if you have hard water that can splash on it, every water mark will show unless it's immediately wiped off.

• Landon Landon on Mar 18, 2021

Thanks for the help!

• Landon Landon on Mar 18, 2021

Thanks again for the info!

• Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Mar 18, 2021

Black shows a lot of dust

• Dee Dee on Mar 18, 2021

Black and white looks fantastic in a bathroom. However, Black shows everything, dust, soap scum, even water streaks. It is a bear to keep clean.

• Landon Landon on Mar 18, 2021

Yeah but at least it will look good if i clean it

• Maura White Maura White on Mar 18, 2021

You certainly can. If you want the whole bathroom to just be black and white, maybe put black tile on the floor and white tile in the shower? Black tile in the shower might make it just too dark in there.

• Landon Landon on Mar 18, 2021

Thanks. I believe that it would be to dark.

• I think black or darker colors look best in a large bathroom, whereas white will open up a space more. In any case, good luck and I'm sure it'll look nice!

• Gorgeous! Depending on the style of the tile, it can be modern or country, but either way it makes for a stunning, classic bathroom. Enjoy!!

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 18, 2021

Hi Landon: My brother has a black bathroom He loved it at first, but it was hard to keep clean. Just like a black car, it shows swirl marks and water spots like mad. If you are meticulous about cleaning, it should work quite nice for you:)

I did find this, that might help "Black floor tiles tend to show a lot of dirt, which robs them of their gloss or perfect matte finish. Switching your usual cleaning product, to one that contains distilled white vinegar and castile soap, will keep your black floor tiles looking their best without leaving a residue."

Good luck

• Landon Landon on Mar 19, 2021

Thanks that was helpful

• Sharon Sharon on Mar 19, 2021

If you plan to sell your house in the next few years, it will be harder to sell with black tile.

• Landon Landon on Mar 19, 2021

I wasn't planning on it

• Janice Janice on Mar 19, 2021

Why not, if you love it? It sounds interesting and very sophisticated to me. The only warning I might give you is that if you have hard water, water spots may show up on the pretty black tile moe than it would if the tile were more neutral. Go for it though!

• Landon Landon on Mar 19, 2021

thanks for the help if you ever need help just let me know!

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Mar 20, 2021

I would not use black tile. If you were ever going to sell your home, that could be the thing that could stop your sale. People want bathrooms to be clean and when your bathroom has black tile, even if it is spotless, it doesn't "look" clean. You could certainly use black and white together, but I wouldn't go with just black.

• Landon Landon on Mar 20, 2021

OK???

• Em Em on Mar 20, 2021

Black tile is work keeping it clean looking. Shows fingerprints and water marks.

• Imz20349639 Imz20349639 on Mar 21, 2021

Come on, come up with a pattern - with perhaps white!

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Mar 30, 2021

It would be pretty, but may be hard to clean