Never Fear Stripes Desk

2 materials
$40
Advanced

My daughter needed a desk for her room as she is now school aged. She requested black and white stripes... my DIY mind cringed at first and then got a little excited as I researched some inspiration photos. Together with my 5 year old's design ideas and my skill with painting wood we made it happen.

Find the bones. I found this solid little vanity on the side of the road... luck I know, but you can find stuff like this for under $20 pretty easy. This photo is taken after a good sanding starting at 100 working up to 220 and then a good scrub.

Priming is so important on this project. I needed the white stripes to be vibrant and this old wood holds on to a lot of stuff that likes to pop through especially through white. Do not hesitate to opt for the slightly more expensive primer if you plan to paint a lighter color

Stay with me... Stripes are tough to coordinate and not look too crazy... So me and my daughter drew up a draft first! I just used the "markup" function on my iPhone's photo viewer... this is our plan!

After taping off my black areas I went at it with white paint. I let it dry overnight and taped again to paint the black! Harware is original and just got a spritz of gold.

I'm in love with the whole thing. It suites my child perfectly and she's proud of her design with is the best result.

Amanda

Questions on this post

Comments

25 of 40 comments
Next