Spring Window Shelf

$15

I'm always finding ways to recycle old windows. This was also a good way to recycle some scrap wood as well. Just add a couple brackets I found at a yard sale and in no time I have a way to display my spring decor.

Warning: Some old windows contain lead paint so please only sand outside when you have a mask on.

That being said.. I gathered my supplies and got to work.

Oh how I wished I had the perfect size scrap wood.. instead I had my husband cut it to the size I needed with a cool little saw attachment he had to his drill. Normally I just use a jigsaw.

I gave the scrap wood a quick sanding just to get off any rough edges from the saw.

I then painted everything with my Retique It Ultratique Paint in Snow. I thought the bright white would be pretty and there is no need to seal since the sealer is in the paint. Game changer for those of us who love chalk paint!❤️

You can use the same Ultratique paint on the metal as well. This stuff sticks to everything.

When I say it sticks to everything that includes glass! I used a razor blade to scrape off the paint off of the glass instead of taping. It was a little harder to remove like normal chalk paint but it was still faster and easier than taping. (My opinion.. but tape if you have the time and feel like it's easier)

Since I plan on hanging myself I put sawtooth picture hangers on the back of the mirror. Also since my fingers cannot hold on to those tiny little nails that come with them.. I purchased a little bit longer nail and it went in so much easier! Just a little tip if you have chunky fingers like me. 😂

The brackets had holes for screws so I just attach the window to the brackets and then the shelf to the brackets.

And here it is!

It doesn't even look like scrap pieces that I had laying around in the barn does it?

Of course you can change your decor to any season or even maybe put pictures behind the glass panes.

Here's a side view that shows how pretty the brackets are. I can't believe I only paid $2 for them at a yard sale! I have been holding on to them for at least 3 years never knowing what I was going to use them with.

Happy Spring! ☀️🌻

Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives

To see more: //www.Facebook.com/EasternShoreChic

• Charlotte
    Charlotte

Where did your husband get the cool saw attachment for his drill? I am a single gal and both my friends and my son have stated NOT to get a circular saw as I would be dangerous to me...LOL but this attachment is perfect for me.

• Pat Gilson
    Pat Gilson

Why don't you use needle nose pliers to hold the screws or nails to either nail or screw them?

• Roberta
      Roberta

Those tiny nails that come with those sawtooth backs wouldn't be enough room to hold it with needle nose pliers.. it's a lot easier just to buy a little bit longer nails. 😁

• Cherie  Burden
    Cherie Burden

I don’t really have a question I just wanted to say I absolutely love this. I’m gonna make one! Try to anyways, all I need is some pretty brackets! Thank you!

• Judy Terry
    Judy Terry

Great Idea and with something you already had. Beautiful!!

• Fel22449422
    Fel22449422

I really love this project too! Will need to ask my husband for help too; hoo boy, his honey-(please)-do list is long. Btw, I burst out laughing --tho' the subject is definitely not funny :( --when I read you were planning on hanging yourself. Perhaps a different turn of phrase? It's an easy oversight. Thank you so much for your enthusiasm and for a great idea! --DJ