Small Hanging Plant Shelf From Scrap Wood and Cording

2 materials

This is a great project if you have wide scrap boards and love plants!

Cut your board into a square. I used a 1x8 piece, which is actually 7.25” wide and cut it to the same length.

Mark 3/4” in from the corners and drill holes just larger than your cording.

Sand the board lightly and stain or paint as desired.

Feed the cording through each hole. Rather than having four sections that each tied under the board, I fed one strand through all four holes; down, up, down, up; so the cord runs directly along the bottom of the board on two sides. Figure out how far down you want the self to hang, then tie your beginning and ending together. I liked mine at 18”. The other benefit to running one long piece through, is that it is much easier to level the shelf.

My cording came with instructions on how to tie three knots depending on your purpose.

Trim and seal the ends so they don’t fray. Shift the knot to be at the back corner of your shelf.

Hang a plant pot that is at least as wide as the board or slightly larger.

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

1 comment
Next