Homemade Lysol Spray

$1

Readers have been asking Chemistry Cachet to create an easy DIY Lysol spray, and we are finally sharing that post with you today!

Please, visit our blog post linksfor answers to questions! We are sharing WHY we use hydrogen peroxide, how it compares to rubbing alcohol, and we also break down this spray vs the store-bought version. We have all the answers for you there.

Ingredients Needed:

• 1 cup 3% hydrogen peroxide
  • 1/2 tbsp water
  • 15 drops orange essential oil
  • 15 drops lemon essential oil
  • 15 drops grapefruit essential oil
  • 1 tbsp blue Dawn or any dish soap (OPTIONAL, please read details below)
  • Dark glass spray bottle (must be DARK and glass is preferred)

Check out our Instagram Story video on putting this together and answering questions.

Directions on Mixing:

1. Add in the hydrogen peroxide to your dark spray bottle.
  2. Add in the water, then essential oil drops. Why water? It makes the oils mix better.
  3. If you want to add in dish soap for cleaning, add in the 1 tbsp now. This is optional, read why below.
  4. Give solution a little shake. Follow directions below on cleaning or disinfecting.

You can visit blog post links to learn details on ingredients, substitutes, and how it compares to our rubbing alcohol cleaner.

Directions for Cleaning with DIY Lysol Spray:

For cleaning, I recommend using the dish soap in the mixture. The surfactant makes this solution clean well. It will clean without it, but I really love the addition of dish soap. Spray the mixture onto your surface, scrub or wipe off with a microfiber towel.

Directions for Disinfecting with DIY Lysol Spray:

After you have cleaned your surface, now you can disinfect. Spray the solution (no dish soap needed for the disinfecting) onto surface and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Make sure area is saturated. This step is crucial for all disinfecting!! You can read this on the back of all disinfectants purchased from the store. After 10 minutes, wipe off with a towel. Be sure to read about cleaning vs disinfecting in this post: https://chemistrycachet.com/the-truth-about-cleaning-vs-disinfecting/

Do you have questions like are the oils necessary? What can this be used on? Please visit the blog post link to learn more!

15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

• Deb
    Deb

I see where a few have asked about the use of the essential oils, and that is my question also! Is the use of the Essential Oils necessary? I did go to your blog and read it 3 times, the only time the Essential Oils is mentioned is in the ingredients list. So the question is: Are the Essential Oils Necessary?????

• Tish Ann
      Tish Ann

Essential oils are useful for more than just smell, especially orange and lemon. Go online and read about them (I don't want to give incorrect info)

• DJ
    DJ

Hello. I've looked at your blog, but didn't find my answer. Will this clean bad hard water stains off of glass? I rent and have a window that I can't remove the screen from. It is awful. I have to spray cleaner through the screen then spray off with a water hose. I'm worried about using vinegar because the window is over a concrete porch. I've read that vinegar could stain the concrete. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

• DJ
      DJ

Thank you very much Alexis!! Going to try it out today. I've subscribed to your newsletter, too.

• Joy
    Joy

So basically you’re saying that hydrogen peroxide and water is a sufficient disinfectant, correct?