Are there options for covering the interior of an entrance fire door?

+13

I live in an apartment building in NYC where replacing the entrance door is NOT an option. The inside of the door has big and small holes from the different locks the previous tenant had. I had someone fill the smaller holes but the bigger holes are covered with metal plates and screws and the door is a huge eyesore. I have a crazy question. Is shiplap an option for this kind of door? Does anyone know of ANYTHING else that I can cover the door with? Thanks so much!

• I'm thinking a thin piece of plywood - sometimes called 'luan' may solve the problem. It can be attached and you'll have a nice smooth surface.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Mar 21, 2021

What about peel and stick tiles? You could get wood look, or something else, you could cover it. And take them off when you leave. :)

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Mar 21, 2021

Hello. And center might be helpful. Purchasing a thin wood veneer or MDF that you could paint and decorate could be an option if you would be willing to apply this with adhesive.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Mar 21, 2021

Lots of images come to mind with as many techniques, since it is a fire door, are there any codes you have to abide by? That would be my concern, that the fire door is not compromised any more than it has been. Contacting the FD might be an option, just a general question. If they give you the green light to go ahead and put something up to cover the metal plates and screws:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=door+murals+peel+and+stick&crid=3PQQS830OC1KP&sprefix=door+murals%2Caps%2C188&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_11

• Janice Janice on Mar 21, 2021

You could purchase some decorative fabric and use liquid starch to apply it. When you leave, just spray the fabric with water and remove. This could be changed out fairly inexpensively. Here's how to do it on furniture/walls... but would work on your door too. Have fun!

https://inmyownstyle.com/furniture-makeover-using-fabric-and-liquid-starch.html#:~:text=Pour%20a%20few%20cups%20of,starch%20back%20into%20the%20bottle).

• Seth Seth on Mar 21, 2021

Because of fire safety codes, you cannot cover it with anything flammable that is not specifically rated for that purpose. No wood and no material. Paint it in such a way as to hide the eyesores. There are fire retardant wallpapers, but I'm not sure if they are allowed by code.

• Sharon Sharon on Mar 22, 2021

I would get a very thin piece of metal if its a metal fire door. You will need to remove the locks, and then glue it on using commercial contact cement on the door and the backside of the metal. Then you will need to cut out your hardware holes, and replace the locks.

Alternatively, Rustoleum makes a hammered metal paint thats lovely I've used on several table metal bases..... comes in silver, copper and https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/hammered

• I agree that paint would probably be your best option. However, you will need to make sure you ventilate well. Anything made for metal will have a strong smell.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Mar 22, 2021

Consider contact paper. It's not very expensive and won't interfere with the opening and closing. Adding depth with wood might.

• What about peel and stick wall paper

• Annie Annie on Mar 23, 2021

You should be able to cover the door with wood siding. Depending what the door is made of, steel or wood will determine how you may fasten the siding..

• Do you have a photo of the door? I would perhaps paint it, maybe a lighter color to help blend it in... or a color that would blend in with the rest of the room. Another idea is something like a peel and stick tile or wallpaper that you could find on Amazon or a hardware store.

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Mar 23, 2021

Do you own the apartments You may need to get permission before you proceed.

• Mogie Mogie on Mar 24, 2021

I would think that bead board would give you a nice surface to work with. Then you could paint it any color you wanted to. Perhaps an accent color?

• Dee Dee on Mar 24, 2021

What about filling the holes with Bondo then sanding down and painting.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Mar 25, 2021

How about cover with a curtain with magnetic rod or cover with wallpaper