IKEA Toy Storage Hack

$150

I'm currently doing a makeover of our playroom. Let me introduce to you this IKEA toy storage hack, aka TROFAST the fabulous! 😀

The photo of before...

First things first, assemble the unit.

Decide on the length of the shelves in between the unit. This will determine the size of the plywood on the top.

Before I could move to assembly, I had to finish frames for doors so I could paint them at the same time.

I had to make a frame for the doors first and then add trim on the inside to create a finished look and use trim as a place to staple cane on.

I measured my TROFAST unit and established how long each board should be, then I used my miter saw to make all the cuts.

I attached it with dowels and glue. You can read more about that story on the blog.

I didn't leave the frame bare like this, so I added a trim inside.

I cut trim with my Japanese saw by hand.

I used wood glue to attach it to the door frame and masking tape to hold it together till it dries. Leave it to dry overnight before adding some wood filler to the cracks.

When the wood filler dried, I sanded the whole thing down to a smooth finish.

When cane is ready to work with, take scissors and cut it to the size of the door.

Before you start attaching cane with the staple, do a test on scrap wood to make sure it won't go through to the front. I used ¼" staples, and they were perfect for the job.

Building shelves and top

Cut plywood at 11" wide since this is the width of the TROFAST unit (unless you want the top to hang from the sides a little).

Measure the distance between units and how wide you want the shelves to be. Cut the shelves.

I assembled all shelves together and added legs to the unit.

Visit my blog for more details on the process.

What is your favorite IKEA hack? Let me know in the comments below!

xoxo,

April

30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
April

• Dl.5660408
    Dl.5660408

Beautifully done! Could you please tell me the color and brand of the paint you used? It’s such a lovely soft pink

• Dl.5660408
      Dl.5660408

Lol, it may be the lighting 🤪, but thank you for giving me the color so I can check it out❤️

• Maureen Barringer
    Maureen Barringer

beautiful idea & love the work you did

• Divababiexoxo
    Divababiexoxo
    Yesterday

You did a great job on the toy box storage unit! It gives you so much more storage - you have shelves in the middle n the top to put things on. The color is absolutely adorable. I love the light pink, it's so pretty and girly. I had never even heard the word cane before your DIY project