We got these old worn out cupboards at an on line auction. They were pretty beat up and definitely needed a good sprucing up. Here is our journey. Hope you enjoy it.
Old Upper to Beautiful Cabinet
The beginning. Dark and pretty dirty.
The top. Or bottom. Looks charred huh! Both pieces were wiped with Krud Kutter, a cleaner that we love, sanded and wiped down to remove the dust.
The doors were painted with a cottage white paint and then distressed.
As was the inside.
Old fence boards were cut to fit the sides and top. Then sanded.
And this fabulous stain and sealer was added to the boards. It works really well with old boards. It takes to them very well and it’s a one and done kinda thing. It really brings out the grain of the wood, which we love.
If you are looking for old fence boards, many people are very willing to give them to you, if you are willing to go and take it away for them! Ask around or even look on social media sites for people posting “Free” items.
Wood glue was added to the backs of the boards first.
Then, we used our air nailer to attach them to the top and sides.
We added these legs to one of the cupboards. They were painted the same as the cupboard and distressed also.
We attached the legs of both pieces by screwing down from the bottom on the inside.
For the 2nd cupboard we only had two of the legs on the left. We thought you wouldn’t see the legs in the back, so we used scraps that we had in our shop.
Then we sat it up and those legs glared at us. Not matching or complimentary or even close to the cute shapely legs in the front.
Back to the drawing board. Literally! We took a piece of paper and traced the front legs. Then, took that shape and traced it onto a spare board we had from another project. Never throw away those small, extra pieces. They can come in handy in instances like this!
Then, with a skill saw, cut out the shape.
The leg on the left is freshly cut and the leg on the right is how it looked after it was sanded.
Painted and distressed. Aahhhh, much better. Don’t you think!
Cute knobs were added. We were given these by a friend, so that cut down on our expenses too!
I didn’t get a completed picture of the second one but they look the same except for the legs. So I added a this one, just a different angle. They turned out so darn cute! Hopefully someone will love them as much as we do!
Resources for this project:See all materials
Dl.5660408 on Jun 06, 2021
Beautiful! Glad you changed your mind about the legs on the second cabinet, it really made a difference