How to Create a Symmetric Pattern on the Wall

$5

When I was pregnant, I knew I wanted to decorate the nursery walls with solid colours. I was reading an article explaining newborns and infants' vision and how the contrast affects the eye and improves the brain-eye connection.

It took me a while to find the perfect pattern, as I wanted it to be symmetric on the wall and aligned- without the need of too many marks on the wall

At first, I was thinking about decorating the walls with framed watercoloured pictures. I thought about penguins, as they too have a nice contrast. But I was too afraid to put many frames on the wall that could potentially fall or harm my new baby (nervous new mum here!).

I still have those. Follow my process and comment below, letting me know if you think I should use it or toss it.

Then, I went to Amazon. The great thing about Amazon is that you can find there anything. With a click of a button, you can receive any desired item- right to your doorsteps.

Once I know what I wanted, I could not wait. I found these perfect triangles. It is a sticker that could be peeled off the wall using tweezers. I purchased two colours, both contrasts with the white wall.

Each triangle is 6cm by 6cm. I wanted a lot of space between the triangles to catch the baby's eye. The distance between the wall and the window is 100cm; therefore, I decided that the spaces will be 20cm with 7cm from each side as margin. To avoid many markings and lines on the wall, I created a template out of cardboard, as shown in the picture. The template is a scale-up of the original triangle. The base of the triangle is 26cm- including the triangles.

I had to mark the first line on the wall to make sure it is aligned horizontally. I made it using a 100cm ruler and a pencil. I placed the stickers according to the bar and erased the line with an eraser. Then, all I needed was to place the cardboard on the wall, covering two triangles, and place the triangle sticker according to the top, the endpoint of the triangle.

I repeated the process and created a pattern of 4 lines.

The finished wall pattern.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round

• Sherry
    Sherry

Lovely idea and great directions. My question, though, is about your penguins. They are adorable. Do you sell your paintings?

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

I used primary-colored contact paper and cut out 12" squares to create designs in the nursery. They peel right off when you want to change things up.

Cheap + easy + good for baby = Great Project!

Love the penguins! You should hang them up 😎

• Patricia Bruce
    Patricia Bruce

This is adorable & done well. Thanks. As for your watercoloured paintings, these are wonderful ! Don't toss!!! If you don't put them up now you can add them once your baby starts noticing more. OR,I think you've already got some customers here. Congrats! Enjoy! And Love!