Light Fixture Planter

$15

Springtime means fresh (or fake!) flowers and fun greenery arrangements! If you’re wanting something a little more unique and artsy than the typical planter pot, upcycle an old flush mount ceiling fixture for your arrangements.

You’ll need: 

Flush Mount Ceiling Fixture – I found this old, gross one at a thrift store. It even came with a free dead bug!

Spray paint, a drop cloth, and glass cleaner.

Potting soil – if you are using real plants.

Or...

Chicken wire or other wire mesh, rocks, or gravel – if you are creating a silk or other fake plant arrangement. 

Note – please don’t use that green floral foam. I recently learned that it contains the same amount of plastic as TEN shopping bags, is NOT biodegradable or recyclable, and is actually contributing to the pollution problem. It’s also toxic to people and pets and contains some pretty bad chemicals. Yikes!

First, disassemble the fixture. You’ll want the glass light cover for this project only. Save the rest of the fixture for another project. 

Clean the glass thoroughly, inside and out.

Spray paint the glass over a drop cloth. I’m using Rust-Oleum’s Rustic Pink for a fresh springy color.

Depending on whether you’re using real or fake plants, add the appropriate items - potting soil or chicken wire, other wire mesh, or rocks...

and arrange your plants.

Decorate and accessorize as desired or let the planter’s funkiness shine on its own!

These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
OnTheFly...DIY

• Debbie
    Debbie

Love it I have some old fixtures is storage I’ll be using thanks for sharing

• Katherine Glore
    Katherine Glore

Love it - totally inspired! Thank you! Off to Goodwill...