Found Vase Makeover

4 materials
$10

I found this vase years ago, on the roadside, after someone cleaned out an abandoned mobile home. I had fun that day! I have no problem picking things up before they are hauled off to the dump. No shame at all.

It's been in the closet, waiting for a makeover. And that happened this past weekend.

I taped the rim to keep drips off the outside while I sprayed the inside.

It was right about this point things started messing up. Right from the beginning...

So I kept the drips off the outside. But not the inside. It was breezy and the paint just wasn't cooperating.

But I decided I could pretend the drips didn't exist, since they were inside and wouldn't be seen.

So I removed the tape to start spraying the outside.

My husband said I must not have shaken (shook?) the can long enough. He would know. I bought a good quality paint. ( Rustoleum) and it was all bumpy, not the sheen I wanted. It was NOT the paint. It was me.

But at closer look, I decided I liked it! The texture was pretty awesome! So I continued.

Once the paint was dry, I covered the bottom half (which I didn't paint) with double sided tape. Being a round object, this wasn't as easy as it should have been! I ended up laying pieces of tape on top of each other and over lapping it. At this point, I really wasn't expecting it to turn out. But I continued anyhow.

found vase makeover, Upside down starting at the bottom
Upside down, starting at the bottom

I turned the vase upside down, and starting at the bottom, started wrapping braided twine around it, pushing the braid in to the tape. I really love this twine. And I had just enough leftover from my wrapped cd boxes (a few posts back)

Since I had had such a hard time with the tape, I wasn't planning on this being easy. Once again, I was wrong. It wrapped and stayed in place great!

Quite honestly, I love it. And after so many mistakes, I think it turned out perfect.

Thanks for looking! 😘

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

3 of 33 comments
Next