Stenciled Vintage Mirror

$25

I found a couple of vintage mirrors at a flea market about 2 years ago. And I decided that I wanted to use one of them on a blank wall in my guest bath.

But I thought it needed a little embellishment.

So I stenciled it!

It's so fun and easy to do!

All you need are a stencil and some acrylic paints.

I used Classic French Gray, Silver Marlin and Cottage White acrylic paint.

First, clean your vintage mirror well with 1 part distilled water and 1 part rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth.

Then center your stencil on the vintage mirror and tape it down.

I mixed the white with the blue (Silver Marlin) to lighten it up.

Then I used a foam stencil brush and dipped it into the paint and then off-loaded it onto a paper towel so the brush was pretty dry.

Then you just pounce the paint onto the stencil. It works best to do multiple thin, dry layers. You want to make sure the paint doesn’t seep under the stencil. You can see here I didn’t get enough paint off-loaded from the sponge but it still turned out beautiful.

If you make a mistake, don’t worry — you can just clean it off with a little soap and water and start over.

Just carefully remove the stencil once all the paint is dry and you're done!

I did the fleurettes in the Silver Marlin and all the lettering in the French Gray. I lightened both colors by mixing them with the Cottage White.

I love the way it turned out!

And you know you don’t have to have a vintage mirror to do this, right? You can use any mirror!

If you haven’t seen our Guest Bath renovation, you can read about it HERE and HERE

So I hope I’ve inspired you to rummage through your attic (or your mom’s attic!) and scour yard sales and flea markets for an interesting mirror you can turn into a work of art!

18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Interior Redoux

• Em
    Em

It is beautiful, but how do you clean it without wiping off the paint?

• Lisa
      Lisa

After the paint dries, could you just clean the stencil and reposition it over the painted areas and then apply a sealant to just the painted areas? Just wondering.

• Sailor
    Sailor

How do you clean the mirror without removing stenciled portion?

• Interior Redoux
      Interior Redoux

Hi Sailor -- thanks for asking!

I can spot clean around the lettering. This really is an art piece rather than a functional mirror so it won't need regular cleaning like a vanity mirror would.