Upcycling A Dollar Tree Hanging Shelf

$10

I love the challenge of making an inexpensive dollar store decor item into a boutique style decor piece with paint, stencils, and decor transfers.

Our local Dollar Tree just got in these small hanging wall shelves. I decided to give mine a makeover.

I untied the jute shelf hanger. This is the top, faux wood or extremely thin veneer.

The bottom and sides were MDF.

I brushed a couple of coats of Dixie Belle Chalk Paint in Drop Cloth onto the shelf.

I purchased this 5 yard Casa Blanca Tile Stick & Style stencil roll at Hobby Lobby a couple years ago for about $10. Hobby Lobby no longer has the stencil on its website. The 15 yard rolls are still available on Etsy.

The stencil was the perfect size for the shelf, length and widthwise. I stuck a portion of the stencil roll down on my shelf.

I swirled the Dixie Belle Caviar chalk paint onto the adhesive stencil. I like swirling the stencil brush with adhesive style stencils.

I also painted an oval wooden tag with Drop Cloth.

I swirled a portion of the stencil on the tag.

I waxed the shelf with Dixie Belle Easy Peasy spray wax and a lint free rag. I tied the jute back onto the shelf.

I love the shelf with these little distressed terracotta look pots with faux greenery. I never know what I'll find at Dollar Tree! Check out my Dollar Tree ironing board project HERE and my Dollar Tree Easter egg cutouts HERE.

I hope you were inspired to upcycle!

15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Organized Clutter