How to Paint a Bathroom Cabinet in a Weekend

$30

Thanks to DecoArt for providing products used in my bathroom makeover. This post contains Amazon affiliate links.

I have been slowly working to update my home’s master bathroom. Just before our daughters were born, my husband and I purchased our home in 2002. The master bathroom came with standard features – white tile floor, a large unframed bathroom mirror and an oak bathroom vanity.

Today I am sharing how I easily painted the bathroom cabinet / vanity. Painting a bathroom cabinet is something you can do this coming weekend! I used Americana Decor Satin Enamels Paint by DecoArt (in Pure White) for this project.

The Satin Enamels acrylic paint requires very little prep work before painting (e.g., sanding). It has a durable finish for high use areas. It is designed to minimize brushstrokes.

So far in the bathroom, I have also stenciled a feature wall and added a bathroom mirror frame to the standard builder-grade mirror. And now, with the white painted vanity, I think my bathroom looks great!

I painted my cabinet little by little (when I had the time) over a few days. This project can be completed over a weekend. Especially since the DecoArt Satin Enamels paint doesn’t require a primer coat or an extra topcoat, like other paints I’ve used.

I used three 8 ounce jars of DecoArt Satin Enamels Paint to paint my cabinet – that would cost about $30 total. Americana Decor Satin Enamels paint can be found at Amazon and Michaels Stores.

I painted my daughter’s bathroom cabinet about 2 years ago with Americana Decor Satin Enamels Paint in Smoke Grey, and the bathroom vanity still looks great!

The below photo shows what my master bathroom oak bathroom cabinet looked like before I painted it. The DecoArt Americana Decor Satin Enamels paint has really elevated the look of the cabinet!

Paint a Bathroom Cabinet This Weekend

Follow the easy steps below if you’d like to transform your bathroom cabinet or vanity in just a few hours with paint.

Lightly sand your cabinets and doors with Coarse Sandpaper at the start of your project.

Use a cleaning product like Krud Kutter to prepare your cabinets for painting. Use paper towels or a cleaning cloth or rag to apply Krud Kutter.

After I cleaned the cabinets, I removed the doors from the cabinets with my NEX L1 PRO cordless screwdriver. I also used my cordless screwdriver to remove the hardware from the doors. I stored the hardware in the bathroom cabinet while painting.

Inexpensive Foam Paint Brushes work well for painting bathroom cabinets. With these brushes I was able to avoid brush strokes in my paint.

Lightly sand between coats of paint with an Extra Fine Sanding Sponge. (This helps to get an extra smooth finish.)

You can use simple Wood Blocks (or you could use scraps of wood or boards) to lift the cabinet doors up from your painting surface (e.g., the table or floor). Or you could purchase Painters Pyramids.

If you decide to add knobs and pulls (if your cabinets didn’t have them before), a Hardware Knob/Handle Pull Drill Mounting Template will help you to mark where to drill the holes in the cabinet doors for the new hardware. (I added knobs to my cabinets a few before this project.)

I laid my cabinet doors out on the bathroom floor for painting. I discovered that the paint dried quite quickly on the cabinet doors!

After I painted the cabinet doors, I painted the frame of the bathroom cabinet. I put at least two coats of paint on the cabinet frame. I let the paint dry completely in between coats.

I think the painted cabinet coordinates so much better with my current bathroom design and decor than the orange oak cabinets did!

This was a rewarding and easy project!

Pin This Project For Later

You Might Also Like (Visit Mom Home Guide for these projects)

How to Frame a Bathroom Mirror

How to Paint a Bathroom Vanity

The Best Way to Paint Kitchen Cabinets

PhotoWall Canvas Review (Friday Finds)

31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Lauren of Mom Home Guide

• Carol D
    Carol D

Hi! It looks great, did you paint your counter top also?

• Diane
    Diane

I'm worried about brush marks - will the foam brushes really do the trick so you don't see any "brush strokes"? I have dark cabinets and I really do not want them to look like a failed DIY project. thx

• Joanne lueke
      Joanne lueke

We just finished doing the cabinets in our kitchen and two bathrooms with Valspar cabinet paint . It worked out best to use a brush or small foam brush to do around details on the doors, and then use a 4 inch roller with a nap (not a foam roller). They came out beautiful and we are so pleased.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide
    Lauren of Mom Home Guide

Thanks! I’m happy with the results.

• Emee
    Emee

Looks great, but if I can offer one additional step....that is to use a coat or two of polyurethane as your final step to seal the paint, thinks this would be greatly beneficial for bathroom cabinets.

• Glcollier
      Glcollier

Be careful using polyurethane. I had a painter do this and it YELOWED my white cabinets.