How To Spray Paint Glass Vases Quick & Easy

$2

Sometimes we luck out and we find exactly what we need when we need it. It doesn’t often happen that way. Actually it usually doesn’t happen that way.

When I decided that I wanted to spray paint glass vases as accessories in my kitchen I thought I’d try to shop my stash first.

This collection of 20 small milk glass vases. Great score! And in my own storage. Who knew? Apparently, not me. lol. I’ve had these for years and completely forgot about them.

One vase didn’t make it into this pic because I gave it its makeover before I remembered to take the before photo. Sometimes my excitement gets the better of me.

Can you believe I got the whole lot in this basket for just $2? It’s totally true!

It was years ago, and I totally forgot I even had them.

I just plunked the whole kid and kaboodle on a shelf for a some day project and some day never came. Until now that is.

Some are marked Randell, & E.O. Brody Co, but most are unmarked.

Here’s that vase that was so anxious to get its makeover. I had twelve of this one design, which is unmarked, and I only needed eight for this project.

Because there’s a lot going on in my kitchen, decoratively speaking, I decided to keep it simple and use all the same vase design. I could easily have mixed it up but that’s just not the look I was going for.

Also, I would have preferred to use matching clear vases for this project, but I use what I have when I have it. Since I got these vases for such a great price, and they aren’t rare by any means (they can be found for sale all over etsy), it’s all good.

Following the instructions on the can I gave it a two light coats of Rustoleum Sun Yellow. I already had the spray paint leftover from other projects.

I’m excited to be introducing a third colour into my aqua and red kitchen redo, and that colour is a happy sunny yellow.

A third colour that’s just sprinkled here and there seems to give a room more interest, another dimension… in this case a third dimension.

You can spray paint your vases one at a time...

…or space them apart on a lazy suzan covered with paper and paint them all at the same time.

Just spin and spray.

Until they’re done. Easy peasy.

Here they are on my decoupaged kitchen counter waiting to be filled with something awesome.

Like this $1 wooden tulips bunch that I shared in a finds post a while back.

They were all various lengths so I used my mitre saw and box to trim them, using one as a guide.

I wanted them to be all the same height when sitting in the vases.

To give them all some red spray paint love I poked holes into a cardboard box and pushed them through, including the red ones because I wanted them all to be the same red.

This way the green stems would be protected without having to tape them.

Except for the dark blue one, which needed 3 coats, I gave them all two light coats of Rustoleum Apple Red.

And here they are… my indoor garden of wooden red tulips.

This was such a fun project. It’s so easy to spray paint glass vases, and you can make them any colour that suits your own decor.

For me the red tulips with the yellow vases is such a happy cheerful combo.

Here they are in my kitchen. This is the area above the sink and those shelves have always been kinda useless and just attracted clutter and odds and ends.

I’m a symmetry-loving gal and repeating the same look on each of the shelves keeps it looking neat and tidy, but fun at the same time. Having different things on each shelf would make them look too busy for my liking.

Now they make me smile every time I do the dishes. No dishwasher here. So I definitely needs things to make me smile. lol.

Yellow is such a fun colour to work with, and I’m planning to sprinkle a few more yellow projects around the room to give it a cohesive look.

You can find more spray painting projects on my blog here.

15 Memorial Day Crafts
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Tuula - Color Me Thrifty

• Mose
    Mose

Too cute!! This is just my opinion but I would have used the different designs because they are all so cool looking but still the same height and basic size! How did you get the very base part of the tulips that was in contact with the box painted? Wouldn't it need a small bit of tape on the stems to get that section done? Do you think it would work for living plants that require water?? Thanks!!

• Tuula - Color Me Thrifty
      Tuula - Color Me Thrifty

Thanks Mose! Because the bottom of the tulips is kind of rounded I was able to get the bottoms spray painted while they were sitting in their holes in the box. Not sure about the living plants.

• Kim Sobaszek
    Kim Sobaszek

love this, but love those curtains - did you m anew them and if so is there a tutorial?

• Karen
    Karen

How did you keep the tulips standing up straight?