Stop weeds growing around pool fence

+10

I have an inground pool with a wood fence around it. I have problems with the weeds and have to constantly weed around the fence during the spring and summer. Any suggestions on how to kill the weeds? I have tried weed killer but the weeds keep coming back.

• Here's what I use: Take a spray bottle and cover the bottom with salt and fill it up with vinegar. Add a few drops of dish soap and shake. Spray on the weeds.

https://www.hometalk.com/43299149/all-natural-weed-killer

• Janice Janice on Mar 25, 2021

The weed iller Ann suggests is simpe and works very well. I've used it for years and keep the mixture at the ready all the time so if I see a weed or grass where I don't want it to grow, SPRAY IT, being careful not to spray on plants I want to thrive. Some people ask why the Dawn? It's to suspend the mixture on the weeds longer so it will work well and not just drip into the soil.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Mar 25, 2021

you could use any weed killer but if you have grass there too use one that kills grass and weeds you may have to spray a few times a year but no more weeding we use Roundup for grass and weeds and it does great

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Mar 25, 2021

I know salt works really well too. I always stock up on bags of salt when the go on sale at the end of every winter. Once you kill it all you might consider laying down heavy plastic and mulch to cut down on your weeding time in the future.

• William William on Mar 25, 2021

I use one cup of vinegar, one cup of salt to two gallons water in a garden sprayer. Saturate the weeds till dripping. Do not use on lawn or in garden. Will kill everything. Boiling water on weeds in lawn and garden.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Mar 25, 2021

1 quort of white vinager,1/4 cup of salt,3 squirts of dish soap add to a spray bottle and spray on weeds soak them PLEASE note what ever you spray will die.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Mar 25, 2021

There are multiple issues that may make weed killer more effective.

Make sure it is applied in the correct measurement ratio. This is the most common mistake made in the US. It must have time to slowly work down to the root to kill the weed rather than the quick kill that develops if your ratio is too strong.

Apply when the weather conditions are favorable. It must be cool enough so the weed killer doesn't evaporate before having time to make it to the roots. Also, rain should not be in the forecast for a day to prevent washing away before seeping in.

There is nothing you can do to 100% prevent weeds but putting down a barrier will help deter them.

You can use this recipe for a more cost effective weed killer:

2 cups white vinegar

¼ cup salt

Squirt of dawn

Mix in a spray bottle. If you have a larger area, you can mix in a garden sprayer with larger quantities.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Mar 25, 2021

I would try to pull out the roots. They come back time after time if you don't get the roots. Once dug up, landscape fabric, then using a covering, whether pea gravel , mulch or artificial turf will simplify things. Personally, when we had a pool, we tried different things, but, the artificial turf/grass was the easiest. Good luck!

• Mogie Mogie on Mar 25, 2021

I mix a gallon of vinegar, 1 cup of salt and 1 tablespoon of dawn into a pump sprayer. On a sunny day in the morning spray the area. You will have to repeat this every month or even every week if the weeds are established.

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 25, 2021

Hi Tina: You can use a product called Ground Clear. It kills everything, so be careful where you put it. Or, you can make your own weed killer.

The recipe I use is:

1 gallon of white vinegar

2 cups of Epsom salts

1/4 cup of dish washing detergent, like Dawn.

Mix the vinegar and salt until the salt is completely dissolved.

Mix in the Dawn until mixed well, but not all fuzzy and sudsy, sort of swirl it around.

Put in a spray bottle and spray the weeds liberally, in the morning after the dew has gone. Then, by evening the weeds should be dead or on their way out. Don't spray anything you want to keep or it will die too. I have used this and it works quite well. Also, it's good for making an edging as it kills only what it touches. If you have something like a piece of cardboard, hold it up and down, edgewise, and spray the area you want as an edge. Just be careful not to spray your flowers and/or bushes.

WEED KILLER WITH DAWN

1 gallon white vinegar

1 cup of salt

1 Tbsp liquid Dawn

Combine ingredients and put into a spray bottle and spray the weeds at the sunniest time of day.

This mix is very effective so make sure it doesn’t spray on something you DON’T want to kill.

Good luck

• Maura White Maura White on Mar 26, 2021

Maybe you could try something like this: https://www.hometalk.com/20665086/natural-weed-killer

• Annie Annie on Mar 27, 2021

You may have to dig out the ground around the perimeter and replace the soil or install a boarder in the ground to help stop them from migrating... Probly will always have a few to deal with..

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Mar 29, 2021

Maybe put rocks down