9 Steps From Candle Lid to Coaster

$30

Do you love jar candles?

Do you wonder how you can repurpose those wood lids? (This is the type of question that haunts me when I recycle!)

I don’t know about you, but I burn candles every day. EVERY DAY! Call it a guilty pleasure but I just feel more grounded with a candle’s fresh, clean scen t and a friendly flame to keep me company.

I have repurposed many jar candles as containers. They are great for holding cotton balls, craft supplies, even scrabble tiles. But what about the lids?

As I burn a candle, I find myself placing my coffee cup on top of the candle lid as I do computer work. Maybe I’m on to something…

Lightbulb moment! I’m using the lid as a coaster, so I might as well make it official and decorate it.

Here’s how to make decorative coasters…and save those lids from the landfill.

1. Remove the plastic seal ring from the candle. Easy peasy…it just slides off.

2. Choose a decorative paper for the top of your coaster. Wrapping paper, wallpaper, stationery paper, or any type of paper will work. I’m kind of into pink these days and REALLY into marble effects.

3. Now that you have your paper chosen, trace the top of the lid on to the back side of the paper. Cut out the paper circles.

4. Next, press the circles flat under a heavy book. You could skip this step but attaching the circles to the lids will be much easier if they do not curl. I think Michelangelo and friends can handle this job!

5. Spray paint the top and bottom of the lid with your choice of color. I chose a subtle Krylon brushed nickel metallic that has just a hint of sheen. Several light coats are better than one heavy coat. Be sure to spray the sides of the lid. Let dry thoroughly.

6. Brush a thin coat of Mod Podge Hard Coat waterbased sealer on the top of the lid and on the backside of a paper circle.

7. Place the paper circle on top of the lid. Use a Mod Podge squeegee to squeeze out any bubbles and secure the glue.

8. Brush a light coat of Mod Podge over the top of the paper on the lid. Make sure to brush over the edge of the paper as it seals to the edge of the lid. Let dry or spray the lid with Mod Podge Sealer.

9. This step is the easiest and the most fun. Let dry overnight and wake up to a new coaster for your morning coffee!

Now that you have the hang of it, you can custom-create coasters for every room in your home. So stack those upcycled coasters next to a beautifully lit candle and enjoy your save-the-planet-one-lid-at-a-time handiwork!

Cheers! ~Missy

15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
Sonata Home Design

• Linda Abate
    Linda Abate

WOW, what a great way to use these candle lids. Love how they can be painted, marbelized, mod podged with a pretty picture, or however one wants to finish them. These would make such a great gift for a Yankee Swap, family member or neighbor. LOVE THIS IDEA.

• Sonata Home Design
      Sonata Home Design

Hi Linda! This was a fun project and super simple. I am a huge coffee drinker and do have these scattered throughout my house. Always handy!

• Patty
    Patty

Great idea for reuse. Pretty too.