Rustic Stool for Kitchen Island

$0
1 Day

We are still finishing our country cabin and we are in need of stools for our tiny island.

This tall stool is obviously not the right one, besides it belongs to my son's garage bar (we just borrowed it for a few days).

We decided to use two of these slices of cedar we had bought from our "cedar guy". I had already peeled the bark off and sanded it really well. So now, we had to figure out how to make the legs.

We used a piece of 2 x 6 to screw to the bottom of the stool so that we could attach the legs to it.

We cut the 2 x 4 's for the legs at 21".

We used left over wood we had since we are quarantined and can't go to Home Depot :(

After cutting all the pieces, we sanded them until smooth.

Then we attached the legs to the middle 2 x 6.

When all the legs where attached, we tested it and then decided that it needed a base to put the legs and to make it sturdy and so that it wouldn't tip over.

So we used other pieces of 2 x 4 to make a rectangle base.

Okay! that worked nice and it is very comfortable. Now it is time to make it pretty.

I stained the legs with a mix of stains I had lying around.

Then I brushed polyurethane on the top part.

And to the sides.

It's amazing how the natural color of cedar comes out with just varnish.

But I still wanted more details, so I painted these small wooden dowels with black acrylic and dabbed a little metallic copper to make them look like "clavos".

I used a hot glue gun to attach them.

Now we are talking!!! much better. But in order for these not to fall, I did use a gun to finish it.

And done. I know it is a very rustic looking stool but for us it will be perfect for our country cabin.

Here it is at the cabin. Now we need to make the second one so that I can return my son's stool.

15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk