How to Use Paint to Soften Wood Grain

$60

Do you want a smoother finish to hide the appearance of wood grain? Here is what I do to help soften the loom of the grain and attract your eye to other areas.

First start by cleaning you piece. This is my favorite non toxic cleaner. And it works! It leaves an area clean with out any residue.

I chose yellow to paint this oak side table. I used all DIY Paint and finishes for this project. I applied using the Zibra fab brush. All supplies can be purchased using the link posted!

First coat of paint should go with the grain of the wood. That way all of the surface will be painted.

Here’s one coat. Apply a second coat the same direction after the first coat is completely dry. Paint again with brush strokes with the grain. Let the second coat dry completely.

After the second coat is dried. (Pictured)

Apply a third coat rosin against the grain. This will help soften the look.

To attract the eye to certain areas I chose a bright floral furniture transfer from Iron Orchid Designs (IOD). I only chose certain areas for placement. Follow the directions per the manufacture.

Time to seal! When sealing your piece, go against the grain. This too will help soften the look.

I added some black wax on the corners and edges to make the details pop.

you can hardly tell there is any wood grain.

Please follow me on my social media accounts to stay up to date on what I’m working on next!

https://linktr.ee/r.e.picks

15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine

To see more: https://linktr.ee/r.e.picks

• Dl.5660408
    Dl.5660408

Wow! Those transfers really make the piece 🙀🙀🙀. This is one of the most beautiful redos I’ve seen❤️

• Greg Scholl
    Greg Scholl

I would just use a grain filler like Aquacoat. Designed specifically to fill open grain under paint.. the best way to get a smooth professional finish is to spray..