Steampunk Decoupage on Vintage Luggage Redesigned Sidetable

$75.

For this piece I used the Grace on Design decoupage paper "Katerina" I used the iron-on method of decoupage using Country Chic Paint Clear Coat and Miss Lillians Patina and metallic for that rusty crusty goodness.

Steampunk and patina are a match made in heaven!

Miss Lillians patina kit

This vintage luggage had seen a better day, it was old and worn and I knew it would make the perfect redesign the moment I saw it.

Grace on Design "Katerina"

I chose the Grace on Design decoupage pack "Katerina" this pack comes with three sheets, I used the large sheet for this project. These sheets are high quality, never folded, don't bleed and apply like a dream!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Even with proper application, a few issues can arise, no worries, if you have air bubbles or areas that didn't fully adhere, use a syringe and inject topcoat into them. The small injection site will not be visible and your paper will adhere down in that area.

I used the iron on method for this decoupage project, I applied two coats of Country Chic Paint clear coat, let those dry then used my iron with steam turned off, a piece of parchment paper and ironed the print to the surface!

I used Miss Lillians patina kit to give this a rusty crusty edgy vibe!

To give the legs stability I used a sheet of 3/4" plywood on the inside of the luggage to give the legs a strong foundation to grip into! I love hairpin legs! They can change a look on any piece in just moments!

31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/RedesignbyReneeCo

• Teri
    Teri

I have a small old (probably 1950's) suitcase my parents used or toiletries. It's a dark blue and in pretty good shape. I'm not sure where you all are, but I know I probably won't have time to ever do anything like this. Is anyone interested in it? I'd hate to toss it since people seem to be looking for them. I will give contact info if you are.

• Em
    Em

Where did you get syringe to inject top coat?

• Redesign by Renee Co
      Redesign by Renee Co

I got this one from my local pharmacy. You can also add additional topcoat and iron between coats. If your paper is thin enough it will absorb the topcoat and when you iron it the paper will adhere down.

• Lisa Judycki
    Lisa Judycki

Did you strip the old trunk before adding the decal? It looks like Trunk had some sort of material on it before you painted the patina and added the decal.

• Hello that is the texture of this piece I didn’t strip it. Just used decoupage medium over it before decoupaging.

• Cat
    Cat

Like many of us tossed/donated old suitcases 😞. We now will start looking for them. What an beautiful print for the top. Just an awesome job. Thanks for sharing.

• Nancollards
    Nancollards

Renee! This is beautiful and the best version I've seen in the suitcase genre. Katerina is the choice I'd have made too. So retro rockstar album. Fabulous 😎 and Thank You!