Barn Quilt

$0

This is the second barn quilt I’ve made for my porch. Barn quilts are a great way to add character to an outdoor space.

This is a photo of it hanging in my mud room but it’s permanent home will be on my porch.

I used 5.2 mm underlayment aka as Luan. This is the same material we use to shiplap in our home. Therefore I had extra for this project. Mine is 20 by 20.

This is my first one. I would suggest going with a simpler pattern like this for your first try. I basically looked on Pinterest for a pattern I liked and measured it out on my board.

First paint your board a neutral color.

Start by dividing your board into equal sections based on your pattern.

My husband helped me with this part. That’s why I suggest starting with a simpler pattern for your first try. But if you’re patient go for the gusto!!

Chose your first color to work with and use painters tape to tape of your sections.

I reuse my pieces of tape.

I did several coats of paint.

I also used a fan to help dry things up faster.

It seems like a tedious project but if you’re patient it’s so worth it in the end.

Be sure to press your tape down good and you will have nice clean lines when you remove it.

I sanded it a bit to give it an aged look. Also be sure to spray it with clear coat if it will reside in the elements.

I placed my 20 by 20 board on top of a 24 by 24 board (and glued in place). I did this as opposed to making a frame. I hope you enjoyed this project!!

These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Everything Red For Canada Day
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!