Broken Ceiling Fan Light Kit to Solar Chandelier

$5

Our 20 year old ceiling fan broke and was being replaced. Being the crafting person I am, I couldn’t just throw the old fan with lights away. I wanted to salvage all the pieces I could for those future projects you read about on Hometalk.com. I took the whole thing apart and saved pretty much everything except the broken motor and the housing. Many of the parts will become wind chimes at a later date. The blades and glass light covers are headed to my local thrift store.

Here are many of the parts saved

After dismantling the fan and light fixture, I had a bunch of parts. The light fixture part was the one I decided to use for this up-cycle.

The chandelier like light part from fan

So here is what the light portion looked like after I cut the electrical wires. It looked like a mini chandelier. I didn’t like the way the middle looked so I twisted the arms with the light sockets around until they were completely on the opposite side. In hind sight, I should have painted the gold with black for a more rustic look.

I liked the middle part better this way

Once I had the “ chandelier” the way I liked it. I grabbed my trusty E6000 adhesive and some solar lights I got at Dollar Tree.

Applying E6000 to socket

The solar light stakes from Dollar Tree fit into the socket area really well if you glue the clear plastic part of the light into the socket area. By gluing the clear part of the solar stake into the old bulb socket, when the lights wear out, you can just unscrew the old solar tops and replace the them with new ones down the road.

Use the clear plastic part to glue in sockets

Once you glue the clear part in, you can add the light cap.

One light in

After all my solar lights were glued on, I used a macrame hanger I got at Dollar Tree to act as the holder of my faux chandelier. You can use anything you want for the hanging part. I was going to use chain but went with the macrame thing because it was handier. Again, it would have looked better painted black or white instead of the 90’s bright gold. Oh well.

Macrame plant hanger

I am showing a photo of it lit up in a dark room so you get an idea of how it would look outside at night.

Solar lights for ambiance

This project costs a little over $5 because I already had the light fixture part. You can pick up cheap chandeliers on line or at thrift stores. Since they don’t need to be working for solar lights, you can often find them for free in ads.

Mostly done

I’m going to add a small plastic pot in the middle with a live plant or else put a finial thing on the threaded part sticking up in the middle. I may even glue a crystal drawer knob on there instead. It’s still a work in progress, but I needed to get it off my floor and hung up rather quickly. Mission accomplished.

Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home

• Judy
    Judy

ideas to make a water fountain

• Renee Walters
    Renee Walters

What about on of those reflective garden balls, would there be enough room there for something like that? I guess everyone’s chandelier would have more or less room on there. Maybe some mirrors glued to create a circle. That would cost less than one of those balls if you got them from the Dollar Tree or Thrift Store. It would also help the light bounce around the area some. I don’t know, but I love to speculate about what can do. Lol

Anyway, that’s a great idea you have there, and it definitely sparks my imagination. 😊

• Imagination sparking is always great. My particularly chandelier thingie is smaller then a real chandelier and is not heavy at all. If you used a real chandelier, it would have more room to add stuff to it. I’m amazed how much light my faux chandelier puts off at night. It works perfectly for creating enough light when doggies need a nightime potty break and I need to see what’s happening out there. I hope you got inspired enough to create your own take on this project. Thanks for comment.