Unique Beachy Boat Key Holder

7 materials
$8
1 Day

Key holders are a very practical way to “hang” all your keys in one spot. But why not make one that is truly one of a kind. This one is all about coastal living. Follow along to learn how you can make one too.

unique beachy boat key holder, Supplies
Supplies

I picked piece of wood from my pile of wood scraps. I made the boat pattern out of a piece of paper. Paint, nails, wood beads, a washer and some vinyl is all you need.

unique beachy boat key holder, Jigsaw
Jigsaw

After drawing the boat pieces on some scrap lumber, I used a jigsaw to cut out the pieces. Next it’s time to paint. I used blue for the board.

unique beachy boat key holder, Have fun
Have fun

I painted the bottom of the boat white for starters. The other two pieces a copper color.

unique beachy boat key holder, Dry brush
Dry brush

I like layering colors. With a chip brush I added a golden yellow allowing some of the white to peak through on the bottom portion of the boat.

unique beachy boat key holder, More color layers
More color layers

I put a dark blue over the copper on the boat house.

unique beachy boat key holder, Remember finger paints
Remember finger paints!

I added a touch of copper with my finger to make the colors look a little messy. Paint pens are fun to use too.

unique beachy boat key holder, More paint
More paint

I just kept on adding color until I was satisfied with the look.

unique beachy boat key holder, An old file
An old file

Are used a file to scratch marks into the boat. I really wanted something that looked old and worn.

unique beachy boat key holder, Wood beads
Wood beads

I had fun adding additional items to make the boat come to life.

unique beachy boat key holder, The back board
The back board

I used the dry brush technique again to add color to the backboard. I added both a little bit of white and a darker blue. This adds interest to the piece. See the hanger hardware that I plan to use? I put a coat of polycrylic on everything before assembling.

unique beachy boat key holder, Glue and nails
Glue and nails

Time to glue everything together. I used an old rusty washer for the window porthole. Colorful vinyl for the flags. A little piece of rope for the wood beads and flags.

unique beachy boat key holder, Final touches
Final touches.

I painted on a few seagulls and then added cup hooks to hang the keys. On the backside I added the hanger hardware.

unique beachy boat key holder, It s done
It’s done.

It’s done and ready to hang. I gave this one as a gift to my daughter who loves coming to visit us at the beach. If you look closely you’ll see a small piece of driftwood on the bottom of the boat. We found it the last time we were walking on the beach together.

Questions on this post

Your question...
  1 question

Comments

3 of 11 comments
Next