Crocheted Air Plant Pods

$0

These crocheted pods are great for displaying your air plants anywhere you’d like to hang them, like in a window or even on the fridge. I love thinking up new and different ways to display air plants (like this cement planter). I think they’d be a great gift for mother’s day!

This project starts with some thrifted yarn and two sizes of loose-leaf binder rings.

I wish I had a cone of every colour under the rainbow of this thrifted yarn The yarn is Egyptian cotton made in Greece and has a glorious sheen.

Start by attaching yarn to the smaller ring.

You might think the split in the ring would be problematic, but it actually helps keep the stitches even on both sides.

Shaping

After several rows of increases and decreases, the pocket starts to take shape.

Then you can add the second ring and bring them together.

Because it adds to the structure, the rings are integral to holding the shape.

Pop in Your Air Plants

As a result of the depth and shape of the pocket, these pods will hold any air plant you desire! If you line these with plastic, you could even plan succulents into these if you wanted to!

Green is my favourite colour. However, can you imagine these in other fun, bright colours? Since in this case I’m using only one solid colour, they’re a fun addition to a piece of colourful fused glass artwork hanging in our window.

They look pretty great in odd-numbered groupings.

But you can also display them as singles and add them to any metal surface, like this fridge, with a magnetic knob.

Every space brightens up with a little green – even the kitchen!

Video Tutorial

If you like the idea of these to your home decor, watch the crochet-along below for the full tutorial. For anyone who prefers a written pattern, consider purchasing the pattern as a donation to our Alzheimer’s fundraiser. 100% of proceeds from any pattern in our shop will be donated to charity in perpetuity. Purchasing a pattern is a great way to get crafty and give back – a win-win.

If you love air plants as much as us, browse our air plant decor ideas (link below where you see our logo).

• Material 1  (Thrifted)
  • Material 2  (Office Supply store)

Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Birdz of a Feather

• Lillyrose
    Lillyrose

So pretty. Do air plants ever need water?

• Birdz of a Feather
      Birdz of a Feather

Yes, soak them once a week in room temperature water for 10-15 minutes. Then I shake off the excess water and let them dry for several hours before putting them back. I usually let them sit overnight and put them back in the morning.

• Catherine Mayhill
    Catherine Mayhill

What are air plants

• Betty
    Betty

Love this project! You can make any size or shape you'd like by trying different types of materials for the frames.

• Dl.5660408
    Dl.5660408

Cute! Such a novel idea 💕

• Birdz of a Feather
      Birdz of a Feather

Thanks - I'm so happy with how they turned out - but more importantly the air plants are happy too!