Buffet Storage Cabinet

$10

When you’re living in a remodel, you need to be inventive when it comes to storage.

We haven’t started our kitchen remodel yet so we’re having to come up with creative places to put stuff until we have all our new cabinets.

(See how we turned an antique armoire into a pantry and other innovative storage ideas HERE)

Right now we’re needing more storage for kitchen gadgets and things we don’t use really often like the lime squeezer, potato masher and garlic peeler.

So I have this buffet that I found at a consignment store and it’s a great place to put all those things.

But first it needed a makeover so we painted it (of course!). We used SW Mindful Gray and it turned out so pretty. It’s a departure from my usual white and I love it!

See more painted furniture before and after ideas HERE

You can see how much extra storage this piece is going to give me.

The top drawers on the left and right are felt-lined and are made for storing silver.

The felt that was in here before was bright purple and pretty tattered so we replaced it.

So that’s where I put my silverware that I don’t use every day.

I have about 8 different sets of silver, some of which go back 4 generations on both my husband’s and my side. And some of them are inscribed with an ‘S’ so they’re very special. I love mixing and matching them to give my table settings a fun, casual vibe.

Quick tip: I’ve read that if you put a couple of pieces of chalk in with your silverware, it will help keep it from tarnishing.

Starting with the top drawer and moving down, here’s how I organized everything:

Linen napkins and metal trivets.

Then I put 3 identical plastic bins in the next drawer.

You might not think it matters if the bins match but here you can see the difference when they’re different sizes and materials. It just looks messier.

So now that you have all the same bins, it’s time to add the pizza cutter, pastry blender, turkey baster, ice pick, garlic press…

And there’s plenty of room on the sides around the bins for the rolling pin, zester, meat tenderizer, potato masher…

The next drawer is where I keep all the containers that I don’t really care about.

I have a matching set of Rubbermaid containers that I keep in the kitchen drawer that I use every day for leftovers. These I just keep on hand for odd uses like sending food home with someone or freezing taco soup.

The last drawer is where I keep the hand mixer, the fat separator, and parts for different appliances.

Then in the cabinets on each side I store small appliances

and cake plates.

Gotta love it...

A place for everything

And everything in its place!

• Mindful Gray paint  (Sherwin Williams)
  • Plastic bins  (Walmart)

25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
15 Memorial Day Crafts
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Interior Redoux

• Kristine Oh!
    Kristine Oh!

You mentioned the Sherwin-Williams color you used, but what paint did you use?

• Interior Redoux
      Interior Redoux

Hi Kristine --

It was Sherwin Williams 'Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel' Semi-Gloss.

Happy painting

• Reland
    Reland

Where did you acquire the buffet?

• Reland
      Reland

Thanks for answering my question. I found mine at an estate sale in Tulsa, OK. It was my dresser for a long time, lol! The mahogany wood is HEAVY!

Beautiful job!