Okay peeps, I'm gonna share a really useful tip here in this post so lean in close...no closer. Okay so if you are creating a flower arrangement and you have a few select flower stems that don't pair up well what do you do?
Farmhouse Styled Flower Arrangement
So I have faux greenery, silver tree cones and a few accent piece's in teal green and it definitely doesn't pair well. I however have plans to tie all of these items together, trust me I can make this work. The solution to my problem?
White matte or flat spray paint, note that it is the price tag for Amazon Canada needless to say I got mine for a lot less. I always use spray paint outside and let the items dry out there as well because of the strong fumes. You should also use protective wear when using spray paint as well. So what did I spray?
First up the vase, clean it well with a degreaser and or rubbing alcohol first. I also removed lid and handle, next I cut off the inner wire frame that was intended to hold a candle as it was originally sold as a lantern. Now I was ready to spray paint the glass after that.
I gave it 3 or 4 coats of a light spray, do not spray with a heavy trigger finger...it will only leads to paint runs. I left it to dry well before moving onto the next step.
I keep nail files handy for small, light sanding jobs such as this. You see the vase had a raised, textured surface so I knew if I sanded it just the raised glass would get distressed. Farmhouse style includes well worn surfaces to indicate years of use so that's what would get worn, those outer edges.
It will create a bit of fine dust so I just used a dampened paper towel to clean the vase over and remove the dust.
I also keep an old kitchen knife handy to cut through the floral foam bricks which I'll need to fit in the vase.
I try to cut it in a way that it's a tight fit, a little effort is needed to push it through the neck but that's perfect!
The spruce-lime greenery is the wrong tone to Pair with the teal green so that's where I started to create a more complimentary color scheme. How?
I pulled it apart and made the bunch a little more loose and frosted it with a few light passes of the same spray paint I used for the vase. It has more of a flocked look now like Lambs ears or Dusty Miller plants.
I added a small amount of hot glue onto the bottom of the stem and stuck it in first as my base to build upon, to that I added three white lilies.
Just like real flowers, sometimes the stems reach out too far and require a little pruning. I made little snips until I liked the overall shape, dont cut back hard because once you've cut off too much you cant grow it back like real flowers! 😊
A few white zinnia shaped blooms and filler accents of silver tree cone picks, tiny teal blooms and grasses completed the look. The harsh spruce green got toned down to a softer look and I think the white florals accents the new look of the vase nicely. The added bonus was it was so easy to create the neutral Farmhouse look.
It really could be a very versatile arrangement to display on a bookshelf, in a bathroom, on a nightstand or kitchen tabletop whichever you prefer. It also makes it a perfect gift to give to a new homeowner because of the versatile, white color scheme! I hope you enjoyed my little tips and that maybe it's something you'd like to try for yourself! A great relaxing way to spend an hour or so and enjoy the creative therapy that it can offer. Happy Crafting!