DIY Tree Bark Flower Vases

$8

Add a little nature to your décor with Tree Bark Flower Vases. An affordable and easy craft project you can do in under an hour.

Tree Bark Flower Vases are an easy and fun craft project if you have access to tree bark. They only cost was that of my time and the price of hot glue sticks, as I used recycled containers for vases! They would make pretty, affordable vases for an outdoor wedding, event or party.

They inspiration came from a fallen tree in a wooded area on our property. When my hubby went out with his chain saw to cut up the tree, I was admiring the texture of the lichen and mossy bits and wondered if I could salvage some. I was able to peel off pieces of bark that split from the trunk.

Here are a few pieces that I salvaged. When life hands you fallen trees, make Tree Bark Flower Vases. :)

I headed to the recycling bin for some empty metal cans to make the vases. I had enough bark to cover several cans and an empty 21-ounce protein powder container to make an assortment of flower vases with the tree bark and lichen pieces.

To attach the bark, I used a hot glue gun using Gorilla Glue Sticks. Gorilla Glue Sticks are ideal for high temperature bonding of wood, metal, plastic and glass. They can also be used in low melt applications with floral material, foam and fabrics. They provide extra working time and are weather resistant.

I added the bark and lichen pieces fitting them together to cover the surface of the cans, letting the size and shape of the bark pieces dictate where I put them. I tried to keep the large pieces in tact whenever possible, cutting and breaking only when necessary to fit the containers. I decided to let the bark edges extend beyond the top of cans for a natural and organic feel.

I also gathered some pieces of River Birch bark that peel off in pieces from our tree.

I decided it might be easier to cover the surface of the can with birch bark first to conceal the printing on the can, then added the larger bark and lichen pieces on top.

This is a very forgiving and easy process, fitting the pieces together like a puzzle and filling in gaps with lichen bits. If you lose a small piece of bark or lichen, it can be reglued without being obvious.

I plan on giving the finished bark vases a couple of coats of clear matte spray sealer to protect the texture of the lichen and bark.

Here's my assortment of vases filled with the last of the daffodils, Lenten roses and fern fronds. I went foraging for some blooming branches to mix with some tulips and ranunculus from the grocery store.

Visit, HERE, for more photos and details, along with additional floral inspiration from my blogging friends.

31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Mary @ Home is Where the Boat Is

• Rae
    Rae

Great idea and even adding maybe some twine to mine when I get around to this project. Have they been done long enough to see how fragile they are?

• Christy Roppel
    Christy Roppel

Love this! Did you put the pieces on a lot temp oven to kill any "critters"?

• Leslie
      Leslie

Hi Christy, I was thinking the same thing. I would try a piece in a toaster oven just to see if it works and then when cooled seal it. I would think one would treat the bark as with pine cones and the like. Good luck.

• Em
    Em

How do you get them to keep their color. I have picked up pieces in my driveway and as soon as they dry they lose their beautiful turquoise/green color.

• Leslie
      Leslie

Hi Em, Not sure about this but you can make a test piece by spraying the surface with a sealant such as poly urethane. I might work to keep the color. Also decide if you want a matte or shiny surface. Good Luck.

• MB
    MB

Dang they are cute

• I love this idea! I keep saving our giant coffee cans from Costco for storing small items, but now I have a few empty ones. These would look so pretty on my porch! I might even add a live plant, but keep the pot it comes in as an insert! 🪴