Asked on Apr 6, 2021

How do I place my tv?

AnnieChristine EastAlice
+15

This is the only wall a tv can go on. This view is from center of the couch. I know I can mount it over the fireplace (but I hate that height and it not being centered). Any other solutions? This is a rental so I can’t do much.

• Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree

The only alternative I can think of would be for you to get a mount that could go in that alcove where it looks like the cable hook up is anyway. Maybe the mount could be one that swivels and could be attached to the sidewall of the fireplace and then the tv turned facing outward toward you.

• I agree with Chloe. Otherwise, it's over the fireplace

• Cynthia Carroll Hall
    Cynthia Carroll Hall

Or put the TV above the fireplace and balance the other side with something, both on the floor and on the shelf so the TV and fireplace don't appear so off kilter. you can use a draping plant (faux or real) large vase, statue etc. Just use your imagination and I know you will figure something out. Good luck and best wishes.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Since this is a rental, I would also hesitate to put any kind of mount over the fireplace, esp since you don't care for that effect.

If there is a wall to the left of the fireplace, I would consider a triangle shaped stand and place the tv on top of it. You don't mention how large your tv is so I am not sure if that would be a good fit or option for you. Then move the couch at an angle to enjoy the fireplace and the tv.

It would have to be in that corner or over the mantle, any other spot would look out of place and choppy.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Can you put it over the light switch to the right? You could purchase a stand and put it to the right of the fireplace as well. If the issue is the height being too high over the shelf, hang it with a swivel bracket and drop it down below the shelf.

• Em
    Em

Hard to tell where since you have no dimensions of tv and wall size where cut out is and where switches are. You can get a tv stand for flat screens and set it on the mantle since it is a rental.

• Mogie
    Mogie

If you use a tv stand you can put this on a coffee table. Looks like a wall mount but doesn't hook onto the wall.

https://www.amazon.com/TV-Stands/b?node=14109851

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

what size is your TV? I would opt to just get a TV stand and maybe put it in a corner than to mount on the wall since you are in a rental

• Be sure to clear whatever you do to a wall with your landlord first, in writing with the ok. There are brackets with swing arms if that helps.

• Dee
    Dee

I hate tv's on the fireplace too. They are way to high for happy viewing. And the heat from the fireplace is not good. Can you get a side table or small dresser to put the RV on and place it to the side of the fireplace?

William

If you can't move the sofa in front of the fireplace and you do get permission from the landlord. I would would make but you can buy a bookcase the width of the alcove and 12" deep. Use two screws on each side of the top and screw it to the fireplace wall and the side wall. Then attach the TV mount to the bookcase. I personally would paint it black to match the TV. You'll have shelves for cable box, DVD player, speakers, etc.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. How large is your TV? Does your rental allow for a wall mounting?

Some more information could be helpful. I am wondering if you possibly could sit on a smaller TV stand if would fit into your existing cavity.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

Would you be able to mount the tv over the switches - even if the tv covered the opening a bit?

• Chas' Crazy Creations
    Chas' Crazy Creations

Can you remove the mantel, put the tv there lower, and build shelves in that inlet space?

• Alice
    Alice

Ignore the fireplace, get a dresser or dining room console, place in front of the fireplace and tv goes on top.

• Christine East
    Christine East

Get a dresser, or shelving unit as wide as the cubbie hole, and as deep with 6 to 8 or 10 inches extra ( depending on how deep your TV is) protruding from the cubbie, and put the TV atop of it, centered of course.

• Christine East
    Christine East

Oooh, and get one the same height or as tall as the top of the light switch plates. Sorry, forgot the height in the first answer.

• Annie
    Annie

HMmm.. Could just put it on a stand. That way you can move it around and not damage the walls..