How to Make a Mosquito Repellent Patio Planter

$75

Learn how to make a gorgeous mosquito repellent patio planter with 2 common plants from your local nursery!

For those of you who have been following along with our French Country Cottage fixer-upper on my Instagram stories, then you have seen that we are finally in the process of working on the outdoor living area in the back including the addition of a paver patio on the side of our deck and garden boxes with a fire pit in the back.

Finally excavating for the patio!

We moved all the dirt to these garden beds which will get filled with more soil and hopefully I can get some plants in them before it’s too late!!

These patio pavers. Oh my. They have nearly killed me. Forget the coronavirus. Death by patio pavers. The story is that as per my usual I found this 12x12ft paver set randomly on Facebook Marketplace for $100. They were stacked on pallets in some dude’s backyard in the woods, covered with leaves, dirt, ice and snow.

Zach and I hand carried each of them to a truck and then promptly solicited the help of Zach’s cousins (thanks Ty and Cam!) to help us move the rest. These were then moved to the side of our house. Which were then moved again to the deck while I painstakingly tried to figure out the pattern.

This was my happy face a couple days ago when I finally got to lay them down for the LAST TIME!!

Anyway, if you have followed our adventures from our first two fixer uppers (checkout the Colonial Foreclosure here, and the Vintage Victorian here!), then you know we love outdoor living. As soon as it gets even a little bit warm our family is outside.

We have picnics, BBQs, and lots of time around the fire.

What we don’t love, however, is mosquitoes.

So I decided to make patio planters out of a couple common plants that are known to be mosquito repellent and strategically place them throughout our new patio!

The Plants

The two plants you will need to create your mosquito repellent planter?

Lavender and mint!

Looks gorgeous. Smells fabulous. Repels mosquitoes.

There is absolutely no downside to this combo.

Lavendar

Lavender speaks to my French Country loving heart for so many reasons, but perhaps no reason more than the fact that they repel my least favorite insect on the planet.

If you click on this link, then you can read the research behind lavender as a mosquito repellent and you will find that it’s most effective form is the essential oil. However according to the website

“While scientific studies have not yet covered this domain, there is anecdotal evidence to show that even the presence of lavender plants can produce enough ambient linalool to keep small swarms of mosquitoes away.”

Mint

According to the same website

“At a base level, mint plants (in both their natural and essential oil form) have been found to act as an effective deterrent against common pests such as wasps, hornets, ants, and cockroaches. . . While current scientific research shows moderate results for its effectiveness on mosquitos, mint may be worth trying if your mosquito infestation has not responded to other natural solutions.”

What You Need

• One pot
  • Potting soil
  • 1 lavender plant
  • 2 mint plants (peppermint preferred)

#1. Fill 1/2 the planter with potting soil.

#2. Place the lavender plant in the pot toward the back. Fill in half way with soil to stabilize.

The soil helps keep the lavender in place while still leaving room in the front for the mint.

#3. Add 2 mint plants to the front.

#4. Fill to the top with soil.

After

So so pretty!

I wish our patio was done, so I could show you a beautiful outdoor living space with solar-powered lighting, a fire pit with a wall of lavender and mint planter boxes, my garden bursting with veggies, and a fabulous 12×12 ft paver patio with super pretty potted flowers bursting with color . . . BUT (insert a deep sigh here) . . . real life takes time. Stay tuned friends!!

Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Ahna Fulmer // Hammers N Hugs

• Jean
    Jean

what will keep deer away from my garden

• Kathy Plourde
      Kathy Plourde
      An hour ago

I make my own deer repellent. Been making it for years to spray on my flowers and deer won’t touch them. Deer hated my hostas and never even took a nibble. I Cslm it my Stinky Stuff but only stinky to deer. Once it dries on your plants snd flowers you don’t smell it. I have had huge flower gardens in Virginia snd everybevrning at least 15 deer would be in the back part of my yard. Never touched a thing. Recipe below:

1 cup warm water

2 Tbls garlic powder

3 eggs

3 Tbls ivory liquid dish soap (clear

kind)

2 gallon pump sprayer

1. put warm water in bowl and add garlic.
      2. Whisk until garlic completely dissolved.
      3. add eggs and whisk really good until completely mixed up. You don’t want the garlic and eggs getting stuck in sprayer nn
      4. fill 2 gallon sprayer with water.
      5. pour mixture in sprayer.
      6. add ivory dish soap. Put soap in LAST. Do not want it all bubbly from adding water to sprayer.
      7. let sit. I make mine during the day and spray in the evening.
      8. spray just enough to get leaves damp. 3 gallons would do several gardens and trees.
      9. spray every 3 weeks rain or shine.

this is fast and cheap to make and it works. I buy big bottles of garlic powder at Sam’s and last all summer. Make sure to spray lillies as soon as they come up or you will never see a blooms. I also spray on the grass around my bird feeders that I have hanging on shepherds hooks. They won’t walk on it to eat my birdseed. Good luck but it will work.

• Jeannie
    Jeannie

Here in the deep South we use Citronella plants & lemongrass. Both are great mosquito repellants. And we burn lots of citronella candles!

• Patti
    Patti

I've heard Lemongrass is also a mosquito repelling plant. I haven't tried it yet. Convenient in the planter to move around.

• L
    L
    An hour ago

Your patio design is great & the planters are beautiful

I love lavender scent I bet it smells great with mint

Thanks for sharing your talents

• Nick Papagiorgio
    Nick Papagiorgio
    6 minutes ago

Please keep in mind that both lavender and mint, in particular, can be very toxic to dogs and cats. If you are going to employ this as a feature to keep mosquitoes at bay, I would suggest keeping the plants out of "eating range".